Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
husnainmohammad
Explorer

You will need HALauncher to view all the third party apps. Without it you cant access showbox and other apks you install

profile.country.GB.title
husnainmohammad
Explorer

By the way i dont know if someone has mentioned this already before in this thread. But you can enable developer settings just like on android phones. Allows you to change animation speeds etc and change background process limit etc

You have to find the build number in settings and pres the middle button on the remote a couple of times. 

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Any apps I've pushed to the TV with HALauncher and then installed,  I can use without the aid of HALauncher to access them. Just go to settings, apps, downloaded and select to open.

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

How do you turn developer mode off after that? Also noticed if you press the middle button on the version number (5.0.2) a couple times real quick, the screen goes black and there is a purple bubble in the centre of the screen.  Press back button once, it goes yellow,  press back again and you are back to the about list! I pooped a bit when the bubble popped on the screen and all the back button did was change the colour lol

profile.country.GB.title
husnainmohammad
Explorer

Don't think you can turn developer options off. Only way to get rid of it is factory reset or you can try clearing the data for settings. I think the thing you mentioned is the Easter Egg which is like an animation on all android versions that doesn't affect your device

mk1.golf.1983

Any ideas why my bbc iplayer app keeps turning itself off every 5-10 mins?

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

This weekend, I have had issues with finding "Devices" on the Sony Video app. I thought at first it was my network, because its been a bit flaky lately. But I did a reset on the routers and HHD and everything else works just fine again. The bluray, PS4, phone and PC all find each other and can stream from the NAS HHD. The TV worked fine for the last few weeks, finding devices and listing them immediately and all content on them, but now, it takes a while to load, and then displays "No Device Found"! I'm a bit baffled???

*EDIT*

I can still cast to the TV, all other devices, Phone, PC and Bluray can find the TV, just not the TV finding the devices!

profile.country.GB.title
husnainmohammad
Explorer

That happened to me to with my NAS Drive. But then when the video app stopped finding it had to play the video files through ES File Explorer or Archos Media Player. Both those apps picked up the NAS Device immediately. The video player app lags on my TV alot when loading folders

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@husnainmohammad

Funny you should say that about ES File Explorer, I installed it on Friday night to have a play, then uninstalled it. I know that the Sony Video app worked before Friday, and even on Friday before the evening because I used it. Later Friday night I installed and uninstalled ES.

Then Saturday morning, went to play a film for the kids using the Sony Video app and couldnt connect to any device! 

I wonder if something has conflicted?

P.S

I never knew about the Easter egg with Android! Did it on my phone too, except that what is just a bubble on the TV,  now has a stick on the phone and says lollipop in the centre. Press the Lollipop and it changes color. 

elraouk

Update on my saga.. 
The last manager I spoke to on Thursday called back this morning, he has told me that the CRO (Customer Relations Officer) is going to call me and they've agree to a full refund for both TVs. 
Not counting my chickens just yet, but promising!