Join now - be part of our community!

2019 model TV XG90 - but no Android 9

profile.country.GB.title
Palexr

2019 model TV XG90 - but no Android 9

Great, so you buy a 2019 model TV (KD-49XG9005) in 2019 and Sony will not support upgrades to its Android OS despite Google requiring them to... Well done Sony! 

37 REPLIES 37
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

That's a different wording. It is your guess, maybe right, not an official statement

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It is kind of official. It is the info that the media (like FlatpanelsHD) got when they asked deeper. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Your guess.

profile.country.GB.title
PyroPath
Explorer

So with the information that quite some older models will be a receiving an Android 9 update, why is the XG90 missing from the lists, it should be almost the same as a XF90 right? It uses the same processor, so I really don't get it... 

profile.country.GB.title
Palexr

The news about the (hopefully) forthcoming Android 9 update is from South America where they don't appear to sell 49 inch Android based models.

So all is not lost.

profile.country.GB.title
PyroPath
Explorer

Hmm, that certainly gives some hope. Thanks for that. Otherwise it will quickly become quite the deception. I don't want anything over 50* so last year I finally gave up waiting for a 50" OLED and got the XG90. But the lack of transparency and updates was the first slap in the face. The second was when this year all of a sudden 49" oleds were announced... So an update would lighten the frustration a bit. 

profile.country.GB.title
ChrisHunt99
Explorer

I am waiting on the official word for this too, if they are gonna do an update why not just be transparent and list the models planned! I can't see how they can update the XF and not the XG though they are very similar hardware wise.

profile.country.GB.title
Palexr

Pie release is in NA region as well now, so hopefully not much longer to wait.

I can't see any problems with the update to a KD49XG at least as they are same hardware the XF

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/downloads/00017061

profile.country.GR.title
ShadowmanGR
Explorer

Hello

well this update its not android 9 (Pie) it just have the setting menu redesigned and is still android 8... what a disappointment. they didnt even include the other redesigned in the input menu,quick settings etc or the small screen to view the current channel on the program guide. (something that every tv i had in the past had it..)

we just bought a very expansive smart android tv that is not smart at all and is full of problems,like with the sound if you use a soundbar  ,lag , cant play 4k content from usb without stutter, google assistant and alexa is not working 99% of the time etc.

profile.country.GB.title
Palexr

20201118_072639.jpg

It says 9 in the settings menu?