Join now - be part of our community!

2019 model TV XG90 - but no Android 9

profile.country.GB.title
Palexr

2019 model TV XG90 - but no Android 9

Great, so you buy a 2019 model TV (KD-49XG9005) in 2019 and Sony will not support upgrades to its Android OS despite Google requiring them to... Well done Sony! 

37 REPLIES 37
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

This is indeed Android TV 9 (Pie) with an updated Kernel 4.9.125. Problem is that Sony just can't write changelogs...

profile.country.GB.title
Palexr

😀 indeed.

profile.country.GR.title
ShadowmanGR
Explorer

indeed it says android 9 with newer kernel but the changes that comes with the android 9 are missing..

except the redesigned option menu there are a lot of things missing and its hard for me to believe this is android 9 and not just a change on the numbers, especially after 2 years of having a TV that cant work correctly.

for example: no quick settings or input menu or restart menu redesign,no apple airplay and homekit ,channel guide still doesn't have the new pip preview of the current channel on the top right corner.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

None of that is an Android 9 feature, those are Sony addon for newer product

profile.country.GR.title
ShadowmanGR
Explorer

even worse that they choose not to include this UI changes for a bit better experience.

also google assistant or alexa is not working most if not all the time.

they removed the onscreen keyboard if you have a physical keyboard connect in the usb while out of the box along with the assistant thing was working fine but ofcourse tv had other major issues.

plus the volume control of the sonys soundbar is horrible lagging etc and still no fix.

its a very expensive nightmare in my opinion.

i still need to check the audio problems on movies that you play through the usb plus the 4k/hdr/atmos content stuttering.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If you think is a nigthmare you should have swapped years ago and if you think consumer manufacturers have interest in implementing the features you didn't pay for for products they already have sold ... what a wonferful world it would be :wink: Regarding the issues you state, I prefer to check the Kuschelmonster results

profile.country.GR.title
ShadowmanGR
Explorer

swap a brand new tv back in dec 2018 that was the current model ...hmm good suggestion how didnt i think that!

when you sell something you should support it and fix the issues those products might have,with your thinking we should not make any complaints for things that we purchase and have problems.

its funny how some people defending a company without any profit. :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Palexr

Got to say that I've never had an issue with audio lag with my soundbar. Google Assistant also works fine, haven't tried Alexa.

Don't really understand your point about the keyboards? The on-screen keyboard didn't come up if you have a physical one plugged in?

Sounds like you've got a TV with issues.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@ShadowmanGR  ha scritto:

swap a brand new tv back in dec 2018 that was the current model ...hmm good suggestion how didnt i think that!

when you sell something you should support it and fix the issues those products might have,with your thinking we should not make any complaints for things that we purchase and have problems.

its funny how some people defending a company without any profit. :wink:

If it is a nightmare I would have changed it right away. Thanks for at least not writing about me getting money by Sony :wink:

profile.country.GR.title
ShadowmanGR
Explorer

the sound problem (as the latest update says it was with a specific soundbar model) was that i would lost the sound for some seconds and some times when the sound would return it was louder for a brief time and would go back to normal level.

most of the time if i asked google to turn on or off the tv or change input etc it doesnt respond (not for the remote),i mean the google assistant says ok it did that but no change on the tv,also from the tv's assistant if i ask to turn off or on for example a light it doesnt find this device.

now the keyboard issue, if i remember correctly after the second update of the XF9005 doesnt show up the onscreen keyboard if you have a physical keyboard connected to the tv (sony said that some customer where confused and removed it completely xD )