Join now - be part of our community!

3D function on KD-55X8509C

nwa1200sd
Explorer

3D function on KD-55X8509C

Although it has worked previously the 3D function on my Sony KD-55X8509C no longer works. Using either the Action Menu or Settings:display the option to turn 3D on no longer functions, it is set to "off" and cannot be changed, 3D content cannot be played either from a USB or from 3D content on Youtube although both have worked previously. Is the issue linked to the recent software update or is there a fault with my TV?

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Penpal1999

Hi

I feel your pain...

I have posted this work-around on the Android TV Problems forum a week or so ago. Give it a try (if you can) and see if it helps.

I found a way to get 3D to work on most HDMI and Apps. Just download 'Sony TV SideView' app on your phone and link it to the TV. Then start your 3D film on the TV (yes even through Kodi). Using the SideView app, select the remote control screen and scroll down to the bottom. Select the 3D button, and the menu will show on the TV for you to select SBS or Over Under. Once selected the TV goes into 3D regardless. 

If you don't have a Smart phone that you can load 'Sony TV SideView' on, then you can try getting hold of an old Sony remote that has the 3D button on it. That will work too.

So this tells me that Sony messed up the 3D function of these TVs, because they moved the 3D function to the Action Menu, but messed up the implementation so it does not show up most of the time (LOL).

Regards

nwa1200sd
Explorer

Thanks for your suggested solution I haven't tried it yet as after the latest firmware update from Sony the 3D worked. However it only worked for about five minutes of a 3D film I was watching via a USB. The 3D option was available via the Action Menu. It has now disappeared again regardless of trying to watch 3D via USB or YouTube. In addition, since the firmware update the Settings function does not work. I can go into Settings but for example when I select Display or Sound when in Settings it reverts to Settings; I am unable to access anything within Display or Sound etc.

Any thoughts?

nwa1200sd
Explorer

Thanks for this. I have downloaded the app as you suggested onto my Sony Xperia M4 Aqua, unfortunately the app doesn't work. When I select it on my phone it briefly opens and displays a menu but before I am able to select anythings the app closes.

NB see my other postings re the latest Sony firmware update for Bravia 4K TV and the problem with the Settings button and continued problem with the 3D function.

nwa1200sd
Explorer

Just a quick update on the 3D issue.

This now sometimes works but only when viewing 3D content on the "Video" app that was already installed on the TV.  3D still does not work via VLC, Plex, MX player etc.

On occasion to get the 3D function to work using the Video app the TV has to be unplugged from the mains first...not ideal.

profile.country.GB.title
davidcf
New

Hi there,

If I press Home then scroll down to settings and press OK and Select Display I can then press on 3D settings.

If I do that  3D display is always off so I press OK then I get the SBS and OV choices.

If  I select the SBS I can get the picture to now be in 3D but I cannot find a way to remove the overlay.

Is this the issue that Sony knows about.

Any button I press takes me out of the film screen completely. I am playing from a DVD.

Pressing the info button that is beside the white NETFLIX one is not registered by the TV the light does not flash. Every other key causes it to flash.

TV has latest firmware update.

Is there something else I should try.

Thanks

David Findlay.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@davidcf you are playing a 3D video from a DVD?!? maybe you mean a BD and in that case your TV should be able to recognize automatically that the BD player is running a 3D video: you should do nothing at all (if you selected the option to auto in 3d recognition setting of the TV)

profile.country.GB.title
KiwiTom1989
Explorer

any updates form Sony yet?

profile.country.GB.title
John_Keats