Join now - be part of our community!

4k formats

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
howarda15
Explorer

4k formats

I bought a Sony 49x8309c tv on the understanding it would play all 4k formats, but on Sunday night on BBC, it would not play Dynasties. Why

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi there,

I think the idea of having a TV that does it all is truly a fantastic idea. Not so sure though about what the price of such TV would ever be? As of now the BBC is not terrestrial or aerial broadcasting any 4K programmes, so the programme you mention was definitely not in 4K this past Sunday. I only can presume that what you are referring to are the online UHD Trials that the BBC conducts since a year ago through the iPlayer platform.

As I am sure you understand, these trials are exclusively intended to gather the data necessary for further development of online digital distribution solutions for the BBC. The primary purpose of these trials is by no means to provide entertainment for UK viewers. As such the BBC holds exclusively the decision on what programmes they wish to trial and on what type of devices they plan to do it. So as unfortunate as it sounds, the BBC is not listing your TV in the devices they intend to trial for gathering data during their current trial. The same way a large series of Sony BRAVIA TV's were not included on the previous UHD trials during the World Cup 2018 but then decided to enlarge the list of supported devices and include them this time around; they still could enlarge the list further in the future to cover even more devices.

Fortunately for you, if you are seriously keen to treat yourself with a pleasurable moment of 4K HDR programmes from the BBC on your 4K TV you easily could pickup the Roku Streaming Stick+ Player, connect it to an HDMI input on your TV and view the programmes included in their trials.

Cheers,

Dutchice

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi there,

I think the idea of having a TV that does it all is truly a fantastic idea. Not so sure though about what the price of such TV would ever be? As of now the BBC is not terrestrial or aerial broadcasting any 4K programmes, so the programme you mention was definitely not in 4K this past Sunday. I only can presume that what you are referring to are the online UHD Trials that the BBC conducts since a year ago through the iPlayer platform.

As I am sure you understand, these trials are exclusively intended to gather the data necessary for further development of online digital distribution solutions for the BBC. The primary purpose of these trials is by no means to provide entertainment for UK viewers. As such the BBC holds exclusively the decision on what programmes they wish to trial and on what type of devices they plan to do it. So as unfortunate as it sounds, the BBC is not listing your TV in the devices they intend to trial for gathering data during their current trial. The same way a large series of Sony BRAVIA TV's were not included on the previous UHD trials during the World Cup 2018 but then decided to enlarge the list of supported devices and include them this time around; they still could enlarge the list further in the future to cover even more devices.

Fortunately for you, if you are seriously keen to treat yourself with a pleasurable moment of 4K HDR programmes from the BBC on your 4K TV you easily could pickup the Roku Streaming Stick+ Player, connect it to an HDMI input on your TV and view the programmes included in their trials.

Cheers,

Dutchice