Join now - be part of our community!

4K Smart TV with 100mbps ethernet?

4K Smart TV with 100mbps ethernet?

I may be missing something here, but... I've just bought a 4K OLED "Smart" TV, however I can't stream anything in 4k. I have the network speed to support it, but the wifi is too unstable (but fast enough) and the ethernet is too slow. Analiti shows that on Wifi I get about 160mbps and on Ethernet only about 20 (it's a gigabit switch with cat6 cable)

Does anyone know why this is so bad or if there's a workaround? 

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @fabsterpal,

from which service are you trying to stream 4K content?

- Nic

I've tried using Amazon, Netflix, and YouTube.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @fabsterpal,

does the stream simply not play or do you see an error message?

- Nic

It's all NIC/speed related; no errors. When I force 4K (YouTube) it will play, but it will spend more time buffering than playing. I can stream the same 4K content on my PC (connected to the same gigabit switch) no problem with no buffering. I can also stream the same 4K content on my PC via the same wifi network with no buffering issues.

It just seems like it's a really inappropriate NIC for a 4K TV.

profile.country.GB.title
Newtothis

I have a kd75 xf9005 and I can watch online streaming 4k from netflix and amazon fine. However if I try and watch  videos via my home network they judder and sometimes stop altogether. It only happens with large 45-60gb 4k 24fps (40-60 Mbps) movies. I have tried wired and wireless 5g, neither work very well. 5g is slightly better. 

I don't want an external media streamer and the videos play fine when I put them on a usb 3.0 hdd and connect that to the tv.

I have read lots of other forums and people seem to have been having this problem with sony tvs for a few years. If only I had looked in to this before spending £2500 a few weeks ago.

Has anyone had any joy with usb to ethernet adapters, so a faster wired connection can be made?

I have hard wired Cat6a all round the house. I have tried having only my tv and pc connected to the router and nothing changes.

I have tried the sony video player, vlc player, plex media player/server and casting from windows 10. All work fine with lower bit rate movies and all struggle to with a good quality video. 

Why didn't sony spend £5 more on a better network adapter? Given the cost of the tv, I'm really disappointed.

profile.country.GB.title
emantecon
Explorer

Hi,
The same problem.  I have KD-55AG9 TV, conectly directly with Gigabit Ethernet, but the maximun speed of this port is fast Ethernet  (100 Mbps). The result is that I try to view any 4K content from my NAS and the movies are "keeps buffering" and "jumping".
I try to use any APK like VLC, MX Player, etc... and Nothing.
Netflix, Amazon, HBO and Other APKs play perfect, but the streaming from my NAS when I use 4K "Big Files" (40Gbytes or more) are Horrible.
The only solution (Worst Solution) is use 1080p Movies (With low frame rate - 5 Gbytes of size) in these cases the movies playing perfect with whatever APK (VLC, MX..)
It's a shame that one spensive TV have and FastEthernet port instead of GbE Port..and is a shame like I need to use and external Chinese android appliance connect via HDMI to my TV for watch 4K Remux content from my home network .

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

May be in UK there is a different law and it is legal to have high quality 4k hdr copies of a film on a nas without having the corresponding uhd bd....

Pretty any tv is still using 100mbps ethernet card that is more than enough for any 4k streaming services 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @rooobb,

@rooobb  schrieb:

Pretty any tv is still using 100mbps ethernet card that is more than enough for any 4k streaming services 

I agree, Netflix, YouTube and Amazon all use below 100Mbit/s for 4K UHD streaming.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
emantecon
Explorer

Hi,

1St. I don't think so that post is about if is legal or if is not legal what kind of content displaying on the TV. I think that this post is about the limitations of one 100 Mbits ethernet port in a top TV. 
2nd. I my message,  I say that the 4K streaming from Amazon video and Netflix is correct, I never say the opposite. Insist, the problem is with files (With high FPS) from my NAS and the ethernet connection. Of course origin of these files could be from my 4K camera or/and 4K Remux Blue-Ray.
And the last, Is very painful that I need chinese Android TV appliance conected to my LAN and conected to my TV via HDMI for view correctly these files with 4K content and high FPS (And repeat the origin of these files could be 4k camera or/and 4K Remux Blue-Ray).