Join now - be part of our community!

5.1 DD and DTS passthrough on XD80 model

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

5.1 DD and DTS passthrough on XD80 model

Hello,

I have a XD80 Bravia (KD-43XD8099) connected to a 5.1 receiver via optical.

I have never been able to passthrough any 5.1 audio (DD or DTS) in any app (e.g. PLEX or NETFLIX) other than:

• the built in sony video app (which however doesn't let me correct the bad lip-sync issues)
  • KODI v17, but only until a couple of weeks ago. Now I can only get **some** results using the "Enable Sync Playback to Display" option within KODI, but it's not a good enogh solution.

I read on KODI forums that DD (but not DTS) audio passthrough should actually work on KODI v17 (?)

Can you please share your experience/settings with passthrough, especially in KODI (and/or PLEX)?

I'm puzzled on why it suddenly stopped working for me.

Thanks

diodorus

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

After months and months of frustration I gave up and got a nvidia shield tv pro: best decision ever, I can't belive the difference (not only about the audio issues, but also in terms of video playback). I strongly suggest to stop relying on these mediatek android tv implementations, you will just waste your time.

profile.country.CZ.title
mmhorda

Yes everyboy has nVidia Shield today.

But everybody would love SONY Android TV finally to do some audio passgthrough as well without "SHIELD".

How is the situation now? Is it any better with the latest March 28th update on ATV2?
I know 3rd party apps Devs could be still late with their updates but it would be really nice to know if they can finally start codding AC3 + DTS passthrough in their apps.

profile.country.CZ.title
mmhorda

No difference even with April update.

By the way I own Sony and Philips TV's  Yes both have issues with passthrough BUT philips somehow handles it better.

The same SoC. The sameAndroid version 7.0

1. Philips TV
    front left, center, front right - OK
    surround left mixed with front left, surround right mixed with front right
    no LFE!
  2. Sony TV
    center - OK
    front left, front right, surround left, surround right are all mixed together. (f....ng mono 😄 - the same as via TOSLINK though)
    no LFE!
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The TV either does passthrough the Dolby bitstream or not. There is no in between with some channels working and some not...

profile.country.CZ.title
mmhorda

I have both. Sony and Philips.

I don't know why they have a bit differnet behaviour with sound output but they do have.
Philips outputs sounds a bit better. I can't explain why. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It is just not possible. You can't alter a compressed bitstream without transcoding. So the TV would need to decode it and re-encode with different channel configuration/mixing. The only thing I can imagine is that you use Kodi and different versions on both sets which probably do some bad transcoding/mixing.

profile.country.CZ.title
mmhorda

I am not using KODI at all.

I don't know why you are saying it is impossible if i am telling you it is different.
I start the same file in PLEX (dolby digital sound speaker test) and play it.
It plays different (like on my message above). I don't know why it is different but it is!