Join now - be part of our community!

*** 65XE8596 Android TV, Android O/S v.7.0 (Nougat) & Samba TV

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

*** 65XE8596 Android TV, Android O/S v.7.0 (Nougat) & Samba TV

Hi, I purchased the 65XE8596 Android TV around 2 weeks ago and the software version was v6.1010.  I updated to the 'so-calledlatest version' for my TV, as shown on the Sony Support website, v6.2602 which I think was dated May 2017.

I've just been reading on this forum that v7.0 (Nougat) has been available since May 2017 so why is it not being shown under my TV model,on the Sony Support website?

What do I need to do to make it available for my TV?

I've read loads on Samba TV which most buyers, including me, do not want but, it apparently comes with v7.0?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Firmware version v6.2602 is already based on Android TV 7.0 Nougat. You are mixing up firmware version and Android version.

Samba TV should already be on your TV.

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I'm sorry but I am not familiar with the difference between Android TV 7.0 Nougat and Sony software updates?

So that I understand, can you, or any other members, please explain by way of example, O/S update names and, software update names, what the difference is?

I.e.  Example of a firmware update name and, a software update name.

I'm confused, you say that Samba TV should already be on my TV?  As stated, I manually updated to Firmware version v6.2602 two nights ago and, during first time setup for the TV or, during the update to v6.2602, I saw no mention of Samba TV!

You say v6.2602 is already based on Android O/S v7.0 but, I've seen loads of posts concerning v7.0 (Nougat), am I not going to see that version available for download?

Sorry if my questions appear a bit 'newby' but, I have no clue about Android TV, how it works or, it's updates!

During 'first time set up', I disgreed with HBB TV, YouView and one other item which I can't remember but, on my XE8596 Android TV, I don't see anything relating to Samba TV so, I don't know if it's enabled or disabled?

So, I need to understand the difference bewteen a firmware update and, a software update?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The software/firmware image (with the most recent one being 6.2602) shipped by Sony contains several software parts:

- Linux kernel

- drivers

- HW component firmware

- Android TV

So Android TV is part of the software image shipped by Sony. Version 6.2602 includes Android TV 7 Nougat.

I have no clue why you have never been prompted with Samba TV. Probably you should check Help/Settings-About menu which firmware your TV is really on.

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi again

Thanks for your reply!

You initialy said that I was mixing up firmware and software updates then you explained that the software/firmware image contained several software parts:

- Linux kernel

- drivers

- HW component firmware

- Android TV

So, does the Sony update image include both firmware and software updates in one image?

I.e.  There is not two (2) separate Sony updates, one for firmware and another for software?

With regard to Samba TV, I spoke too soon!  about 30 minutes after placing my last reply, a Samba TV 'pop-up' appeared in the bottom right corner asking to to setup Samba TV now, or later.  I chose later!

Having said that, what do I need to do to remove or disable Samba TV and the 'pop-up' and, is there anythng else that I need to remove or disable?

Despite not seeing any reference to Samba TV during both 'first time set up' or, whilst updating to v6.2602, I appear to have Samba TV!  I checked in HELP after the update and, the current version is shown as v6.2602. 

I've read that v6.2602 is based on v7.0 (Nougat) but why don't we just get to download v7.0?

Does any Sony XE8596 TV owner get to download v7.0?

When I first checked for updates using the "check for updates" on the TV, a few days ago, as soon as I clicked "check for updates" and was immediately taken to the Bravia Privacy Policy which, after reading through it, I disagreed and was promptly taken back to the Privacy Policy again!  I contacted Sony Support and was told that if I want to update my TV, I needed to agree to the 'Bravie Privacy Policy' and, the EULA Agreement.  If you disagree, then no update!

I've read many threads about Samba TV and the Bravia Privacy Policy in these forums and, the general opinion is that owners are refusing agree with either so, is there a way around privacy policys and agreement?

I've been buying Sony TV's for around 20 years and updating them without having to first accept and agree with any privacy policys or EULA agreements so, what's going on?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

So, does the Sony update image include both firmware and software updates in one image?

I.e.  There is not two (2) separate Sony updates, one for firmware and another for software?

There is room for interpretation as to what is a firmware and what is a software. The image provided by Sony includes everything, so all firmware and software required for operation. You can only update it as a whole.

And because it contains also other software and firmware parts beside Android, the image version is not based on the Android version.

I've read that v6.2602 is based on v7.0 (Nougat) but why don't we just get to download v7.0?

Does any Sony XE8596 TV owner get to download v7.0?

There is no image 7.0. 6.2602 is the latest. So you are all up-to-date.

Having said that, what do I need to do to remove or disable Samba TV and the 'pop-up' and, is there anythng else that I need to remove or disable?

I described the way to do it properly here. But even after opting out, the TV will still constantly contact Samba TV servers. Sony is clearly infringing users' privacy here. All I can say is don't buy their products anymore. Sony is not the company anymore that they used to be.

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi

Thank you for your detailed reply!

I now fully understand!

I totally agree that what Sony are doing, infringes upon their customers privacy and, I also believe that this is bordering on being illegal!  I have complained to, both Sony and the Seller; Sony ignores it but, JL appears to be taking it seriously!

I did receive a reply from Sony support yesterday and they said that, because the Bravia Privacy Policy, the EULA Agreement and the Software Update are now all part of the same package and, in order to update their TV’s, customers MUST agree to both the BPP and the EULA Agreement!

With regard to no longer buying their products, for the reasons discussed, I totally agree and think it’s outrageous what Sony are now doing!  

I disabled the Samba TV ‘pop-up’ yesterday and I’ll take a look at your guide to removing and disabling other rubbish and, until there is another update, I will the turn off WiFi to the TV!

Thanks again