Join now - be part of our community!

65XF9005 Video App Freezes on High Bit Rate 4k

profile.country.GB.title
PaneDi

65XF9005 Video App Freezes on High Bit Rate 4k

I recently updated the tv to firmware 65.10 and apart from the hdr in the menus while playing movies(grayed subs) i noticed that when i play a 4k high bit rate movie from usb 3.0 external disk in usb 3.0 port the movie freezes after playing normal for about 30-40 minutes an the only way to fix it is to restart the tv..this wasnt happening before the update

anyone else having this issue ? 

what is sony thinking without even testing the new firmware ? 

i am a bit dissapointed .also from the fact that it has only 2gb RAM but thats another story ...

any ideas ?

64 REPLIES 64
profile.country.GB.title
imMike

That’s great summary, I’ll just add my comments:

1. this works but it’s annoying as sometimes you just want to play something in the background and not remember to stop the video and play it again - if you just pause it it won’t work, you have to go back to the list of videos and play it again

2. that’s the fastest option however sometimes films won’t have any other audio track, so you cannot just exclude it, you will have to convert it (I used hand break) and it takes about 12 hours per each film.

3. Yes you can use vlc player or Kodi BUT videos are downscaled to 1080p. I haven’t tested plex yet but I’ve read that all apps apart from native ones (Netflix, video app) are only allowed to work in 1080p - they can play 4k but you’re actually watching 1080p.

So the only solution to watch true 4K with HDR is to spend days converting films and put it on a USB hard drive, because the network card is only 100Mb instead of 1Gb and the hdmi 2.0 is too slow to transmit 4K with HDR and 60fps - a display port or hdmi 2.1 would be nice Sony!

Also all of the three hard drives that I have connected to the TV wake up when the tv is powered off for some reason - it’s annoying spinning disks and seeking sound - I’m quite sure that’s not supposed to happen? It’s the same with my older Sony tv but it happens less often.

profile.country.EE.title
mr.onks
Explorer

Am I understanding you wrong, or you actually re-encode large UHD video files so slowly?

Try MKVToolNix, with that you can literally open the file container like a zip file, then just uncheck any audio track you do not want there and save it without any conversion or quality loss. It cannot take more than 30mins, even with old and slow PC.

I have used VLC for android in my TV, and I have not noticed that it plays 1080p. Now I am worried, I need to test and check carefully. HDR makes quality so good, that did not think to check the other details.

My reason for VLC for me was just because if some movies had black bars cropped ot of the file, then native player was not able to play it without stretching video. My tv is Philips Android, but same problems as you all have, but Philips told me to use VLC until their "engneers" are finding solutions :grin:

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It  is absolutely not true that kodi or vic or nova player don't  play 4k movie in the original resolution!

profile.country.GR.title
Kacey44
Explorer

Hi,

@PaneDi 

also in Greece. Any news or replies from Sony?

Same problem with 49xf9005, all movies were playing just fine with Android7, after update to android8 any 4k movie via USB3 at around the 30min mark and TV needs restart for the file to be played again. Haven't tried comparing movie with and without TrueHD, will do so and report.

profile.country.GR.title
Kacey44
Explorer

Ok, so I tested with the exact same movie that froze every ~30mins, only this time I had removed the TrueHD audio stream using MKVToolnix. Movie played perfectly. Just to be clear, I WASN'T using TrueHD when the movie froze, it just existed in the file.

profile.country.GB.title
alexoh
Explorer

My Sony KD-75X500F is also freezing when watching 4k movies via USB, so I have to restart the TV in order to continue watching. I tried using an external hard disk with AC power to boost the USB, but same thing. It seems something is bugging the TV since the patch was applied in May last year, shortly after I purchased the TV.

Fix would be greatly appreciated from Sony

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@alexoh  ha scritto:

My Sony KD-75X500F [...  ]

You should have missed some numbers in your tv model...

Just adding a "me too" to this and to bump the thread so hopefully Sony responds.  I bought this telly (mine's the 49XF9005, but I don't believe size matters in this case!) because I wanted a 4K Android smart telly and this one basically won all the reviews in its price bracket.  Alas, the only way I can watch my 4K content with surround sound is through the Video app, which crashes after 40 mins of play time.  I also can't use any of the catch up apps (one of the main reasons for buying a smart telly) because they won't run without YouView and YouView won't work without a TV signal.  I haven't got a TV License or an aerial, so no signal = no YouView = no catch up.  So, at this point, it's not smart and it's not a telly, so it's not fit for purpose and is a very large & expensive paperweight.

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Although you shouldn't have to, there are workarounds to all of the problems

- remove True HD audio from your 4k files

- borrow a portable aerial and tune the Tv once, only needs 1 channel

- sideload the catch up apps from Hoshsadiq.  Once sideloaded don't use the version of the app showing on the sony select row (it will ask to enable youview) - use apps button and ideally add them to favourites

- you could try sideloading them without the aerial but I don't think itv and all4 will work without accepting all youview and Sony terms and conditions which needs the aerial tuning step (though always skip the aerial tuning step after the initial tune - it gives me the skip tuning option but I assume that's because the TV is already tuned to digital freeview channels) 

-  Although I think it's only itv and all4 that are full tied to youview sideload all of them except My5 so that they can all be added to favourites.  Get My5 off the play store

- move sony select row to the bottom, have farourites at or near the top

profile.country.GR.title
Panedi1985
Explorer

I contacted Sony support in Greece about this issue and their answer was tha this is not a tv issue but a software issue and google is to blame !

I didnt like their answer and i told them that SONY is releasing the software updates and not google and i demand my tv to play movies as intented in the beginning with android 7 

They told me that they will forward my complaint ..

This sucks..