Join now - be part of our community!

65XF9005 Video App Freezes on High Bit Rate 4k

profile.country.GB.title
PaneDi

65XF9005 Video App Freezes on High Bit Rate 4k

I recently updated the tv to firmware 65.10 and apart from the hdr in the menus while playing movies(grayed subs) i noticed that when i play a 4k high bit rate movie from usb 3.0 external disk in usb 3.0 port the movie freezes after playing normal for about 30-40 minutes an the only way to fix it is to restart the tv..this wasnt happening before the update

anyone else having this issue ? 

what is sony thinking without even testing the new firmware ? 

i am a bit dissapointed .also from the fact that it has only 2gb RAM but thats another story ...

any ideas ?

64 REPLIES 64
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I did not test it by myself, but someone could say that proper behaviour should be to get an error like "audio codec not supported"...

BTW DTS play fine for me using Nova Player and passthrough mode 2

profile.country.GB.title
smudger75

I had this on my 75XF9005, played 4k HDR mkv's fine on android 7 fine but when it updated to android 8 got the freezing video thing at 40 mins ish, I rang sony and reported it and they sent an engineer round who took the TV away, a month later they swapped it for a brand new 75XG9505.

Obviously this still behaves the same re freezing, as others have found out, just having the TrueHD track on a movie file even though the video app doesn't play it is enough for it to crash, strip the TrueHD and it will play fine.

It's bizarre that sony claim they nothing about this when so many have reported it since oreo came out nearly 12 months ago.

profile.country.GB.title
imMike

I’ve got android 8.0.0 as well (on KD-65XF9005). I didn’t test it on the previous android as I only bought the TV in April - before I’ve started using hard drive I already had the update to 8.0.

Firstly thanks for spending your time Mezaro to test that, I think you’re correct, the videos I play are mostly with TrueHD 7.1 audio, 4K HDR. I think one of the videos didn’t freeze so it must have been without TrueHD.

I’m not having much luck with third party players either, Kodi is displayed only in 1080p, VLC either has grey bars or only plays stereo audio, MXplayer couldn’t play the videos at all I think.

Plex is the best, works in 4K, plays TureHD  audio (5.1) however 50GB video is to much for bloody 100mbps Ethernet card (why Sony doesn’t use 1 gigabit cards?!), the video stops every few seconds to fill in the buffer, then plays for a few seconds and stops again. Plex is great for 4K HDR videos up to 20gb in size, then it’s perfect as you don’t have to copy the videos to the hard drive and reconnect the hard drive back to the TV.

I might contact Sony support then.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Kodi can Play 4k video only the gui is rendered at 1080p

profile.country.RU.title
Mezaro
Contributor

Update to 6.6545, XF90 (without factory reset after update)

Bug with TrueHD in VideoApp - are still, of course.

profile.country.GB.title
nedgould

I’m having the same issue. Very annoying. Can Plex play files on USB?

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Out of curiosity I tried a USB3 lan adaptor in the TV (an xf) and the TV connected to the network fine with the light flashing orange ie 1000, though in reality usb2 will only achieve approx 480Mbps max. The fibre test speedtest  app showed my full 190Mbps speed. Plug the lan back in to the lan port and it went down to about 40Mbps. This seemed consistent over a few tests.

This might help people who need a workaround to this issue by playing from a nas, or people who want to play high bitrate files via wired lan.  A cheap USB 2 or 3 lan adapter should give approx 480Mbps as long as it has a gigabit port

EDIT Sadly not working - ETHERNET NOT CONNECTED when i turned on the TV today

profile.country.GB.title
imMike

That’s a brilliant idea! How did I not think about that?

Just two questions, does XF9005 have USB’s 2.0 or 3.0? Would this work with plex, Netflix and everything?

If so, I don’t get how Sony doesn’t equip TV’s with 1Gbps network cards, it’s only £9 on amazon...

profile.country.EE.title
mr.onks
Explorer

Hi,

Any details about the USB adapter used for testing?

I have tried multiple cheap USB->LAN adapters, that are supported by Android, but just not work on my Android TV.

Currently my NAS setup is just for storage, any high bitrate movie I want to see, I copy from NAS to my USB3 fast flash drive, because TV through wired LAN just buffers too often. I do not understand what is the point of the lan port if it is not gigabit.

Tip to manufacturers: use dial-up connection instead, it is even cheaper than 100M LAN and both are useless to stream real UHD content. Gigabit was invented also in previous century.. I got so angry when found out this 100M LAN, this detail was so hidden, not mentioned anywhere, wanted to return my TV, but turned out all other models are same sh*t. So it goes, you buy an expensive TV that has all the options and does everything by the list, then start using it, and turns out cheap MI box does everything better..

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Not sure on the XF ports - assumed they are USB2 as they're black inside.

The apaptor is a Usb3 hub and lan adaptor anker branded. I'll see if I can find the amazon link from when I bought it a few years ago.

I tried the netflix network check and it showed 170Mbps, whereas the Lan connection showed 30Mbps a few seconds later. I'm not sure if using the USB port has any other negative impacts on general running but I've left it connected that way and will post back if I notice anything