Join now - be part of our community!

8k =? ethernet cable

profile.country.IE.title
Josoap

8k =? ethernet cable

Hi guys, 

need your advice again lol.

im looking to purchase the sony KD-75ZH8 8K tv in a couple of weeks.  im just wondering do I need a pacific ethernet cable e,g cat 6 ,7 or 8 to meet the tv,s specs. 

As usual Thanks for all your advice, as id be lost without you guy Thanks again 👍

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Josoap 

As compared to what - WiFi, or Cat 5?

You need to find out what speed the Ethernet on this set runs at - I couldn’t, just that it had it.

But it’s highly unlikely that your router runs at more than Gigabit Ethernet anyway, for which Cat 6 will suffice. (Cat 5e likely will too, but it’s less certain).

Have you got a specific problem, such as a house pre-wired for Ethernet? I have, and I could see a Gig going into it, but only 100Mbits at the other end. Fortunately though, this was a faulty Cat 6 patch cable from the socket on the wall to my Gig switch, and when I replaced it with a good one, I could see from the switch that it had gone up to Gig.

My fast fibre is nominally 500 Mbps (still only half a Gig), with 350 achievable in practice, and nothing less than 180 anywhere now.

But why not buy the best cable you can, for future proofing? When you are spending thousands on a TV, don’t sweat the small stuff....

And are you sure, by the way, that you shouldn’t be asking us about HDMI cables, instead or as well? Get Ultras.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IE.title
Josoap

cheers for your reply pal. I dont seem be getting much from the ports in the modem when it should be 500mb. plus im looking to connect the ps5 to the tv when it comes out , so wondering what cat would be best to get . iv seen some articles say cat 8  would be best for gaming.  as for the fibre iv already got the HDMI 2.1  cables  ready to go.  but as you said best be ready for future proofing.

profile.country.GB.title
williamfsmith

If I am reading current reports correctly neither the PS5 or Xbox Series X support 8K , in fact they only manage 4k with HDMI 2.1 AFAIK.

profile.country.IE.title
Josoap

hiya William cheers for your reply. 

your correct that they don't support 8k but the tv itself upscales the content to 8k , or thats what im lead to believe reading on sonys site. 

but it turns out the problem is with my modem as iv just got off the phone to my provider and there going to send out a new modem hopefully that will make the difference.  

Thanks again pal for your help 👍