Join now - be part of our community!

A1 OLED TV

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Bill00
Explorer

A1 OLED TV

Why is the OPERA TV internet browser  not preloaded into the A1(see detailed specification ),a $4000 TV,when it is standard on other Sony Andoid TV's?

Is this some sort of US  competiton enforcement  agency issue,which will not apply to the UK ?

After 10  years  of  waiting for  a credible Pixel  Plus processed  CRT replacement, I would just like to switch the thing on and use  it  straight out  of  the box. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Bill00 and all

To confirm, all Android TVs sold in the EU region will have a browser pre-installed and this includes the A1 OLED TV.  The US is making a local decision in not having one pre-installed - unsure why.

Cheers

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have just had a look at the specifications on the US site:

http://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/a1e-series/specifications

It does indeed state that:

Internet Browser.jpg

Although it states that it is not pre-installed, but the browser is Opera - checking the Google Play Store on my TV, I cannot see an Opera Browser available to install.  So at this stage I do not know.

Although this whole thing could be due to this announcement:

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/137932

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Bill00
Explorer

Thanks ,great information  and I'm sure that the contractual dispute is the cause , but what areSony going to do about it, since, as you say,  OPERA is not freely downladable ?

This falls squarely into the category  of peeing off the  customer, whom we must never forget has LG, Phillips,  and Panasonic as alternative  wordwide  OLED TV suppliers ( for myself, I still  prefer Sony)

P.S. Like the cat

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

Give me some time and ill find out.  Ive sent an email to one of my contacts and hopefully they can answer.

Cheers

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Actually, I would be glad if the TV for 4k$  would came just with OS, no (cr)apps at all. Anyway, FF or Crome work just fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kinggo01 wrote:

Actually, I would be glad if the TV for 4k$  would came just with OS, no (cr)apps at all. Anyway, FF or Crome work just fine.

I agree, I would prefer the same.  However I would assume that its generally the 'higher' end users of TVs that would prefer a bare-bones OS without all the apps.  However (again assumptions), I would imagine that most would prefer just to turn their TV on and all the apps they most likely will use are already pre-installed.

Take my mum for instance - she wouldnt have a clue on what an app even is, never mind actually installing one from the Playstore.  It would certainly be complicated for her.

Edit: Although the option to completely remove (or re-install) each pre-installed app would be nice :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Bill00
Explorer

I'm on the middle ground  on embedded functionality, being a 69 year old  still working in international  aerospace.

Once there were  only a   high performance  TV display,and a separate tower computer standing  on a desk .

Now we can have both in a single device, so why not  make it easy for all  levels  of IT  literacy to use?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Bill00 and all

To confirm, all Android TVs sold in the EU region will have a browser pre-installed and this includes the A1 OLED TV.  The US is making a local decision in not having one pre-installed - unsure why.

Cheers

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Actually, I would be glad if the TV for 4k$  would came just with OS, no (cr)apps at all.

Fully agree. That's why there is the Play Store anyway.

Given the fact that even the A1 OLED has a slow and crappy MediaTek processor with only little flash memory, you'd want to keep your TV as clean as possible. I never saw the necessity of having a browser on the TV in the first place. Mobile devices have become brilliant navigation devices compared to TVs. So I'd rather use those and cast stuff that actually makes sense to be watched on the TV...

profile.country.GB.title
gilfeath
Explorer

I have a 65A1E with Android 7.0

1.  can pre-installed apps be removed or hidden?

2.  on the Home Screen can the row of suggestions abve the app row be modified or deleted?

3.  Is there a 3rd party app perhaps to do 1 and 2?

4.  Can I record programs from the TV program listings to my attached USB hard drive as a VCR?

Thands