Join now - be part of our community!

Access to HDD via USB - After Marshmallow Update

profile.country.GB.title
iOllivier

Access to HDD via USB - After Marshmallow Update

Hi

I am aware there are multiple issues with the update.

Mine did go ok on KD-65XD8599.

I wanted at first to blame the new update for slow remote control response

but then it turns out all was down to batteries. (This thing eats them .. new batteries after 2 months :wink: )

I remember SONY has change something in relation to the USB storage, but can't find what exactly it was.

Previously I had easy access to my external HDD, which keeps my 4K movies

(my Plex doesn't support yet)

Since the update I am unable to read anything from the drive (via USB3)

TV does not see it at all. Tried with ES File Explorer, Intenal Video App etc ... 

Plase advise

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

then you are one of those unlucky ones. Some drives that worked before don't work on MM anymore. I have a bunch of other USB problems but at least all the drives are still recognizable and they work. Until they disappear.

And batteries that came with the remote are POS, I replaced mine with some of that other Japanese brand and my remote works always and every time since then.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I have spent quite some time (A LOT, actually) trying to iron out USB issues. What I'd suggest is to backup your movies and then reformat the USB drive as NTFS or exFAT with MBR partition table (Windows should just formt it MBR/NTFS and you are all set). Then with the drive empty check if the tv recognises it. If it does copy back your movies.

Otherwise you may not be aware that you can enable DLNA/UPnP in Plex. Doing so all your libraries will appear in the Sony's Video app. Or any other DLNA client, but Video seems to be the fastest.

About the batteries.. yeah same here. They lasted a month or two and since day one I have been mad because it felt like the remote didn't work, as if it wasnt powerful enough. Not that it send a strong signal anyway. After replacing the batteries with the ones from the bunny (that keep going, and going, and going.. :D) it works fine, but still I had to point the remote to the IR receiver. Very annoying.

profile.country.GB.title
iOllivier

Thanks .. now I know I am not the only one with this issue

profile.country.GB.title
iOllivier

Thx for the advise .. I'll try to move all my movies first ( 40-60GB each ) to other drive and see if re-formatting would do the thing. Fingers crossed.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

If your TV doesn't even register the disk when you plug it in I doubt that formatting will help. It's still the same FW on the disk. And it worked before with different android kernel version.

profile.country.GB.title
iOllivier

Sorry .. I wasn't strict. 

I can see my drive but as something like HD2017 or each time different Label but without any content in it.

And it's only in the ES File Explorer. The Videos TV app does not see it at all.

We will see soon ..  as I am currently during the videos transfer procss.