Join now - be part of our community!

AF8 Dolby Vision

profile.country.GB.title
Boyce90
Explorer

AF8 Dolby Vision

Hi Im new to the community.

I really do apologise if this has been talked about and If Im repeating what many others have talked about in other threads but I need some help as sony customer support are not helping my issue at all.

So, Just wondering if anyone is having issues with watching Dolby Vision over external sources. 

Streaming Dolby Vision through Netflix on the tvs internal app look fantasic!

But through external sources (Sonys own UBPX700 DV player and Apple tv 4k) look utter rubbish! Lets just say I prefer HDR10. 

The picture through HDMI  is dull, washed out, alot darker than hdr10 and colour dont pop and bright highlights are not bright at all.

Spiderman homecoming in DV on the X700 looks rubbish compared to HDR10 and when comparing netflix DV through apple tv or the x700 to DV on the tvs built in netflix app, it is extremely aparant that there is a problem with the hdmi pass through.

I have done all the basics factory resets etc. The are connected to the only 2 full fat 4k hdmi ports both with belkin hdmi cables and I have enabled them to 4k. 

I enable Dolby Vision on the x700 for Dolby vision content and turn it off when not Dolby content.

The tv does pick up the Dolby signal through HDMI as the logo comes up in the right hand corner when content is about to be played. 

Iv tried for weeks now dealing with sony support and they are not being helpful at all! 

Hopefully someone can shine some light if sony will release a firmware update as sony keep saying there is mothing wrong but wont send an engineer out to look at my set.

Thank you 

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Boyce90

Take screenshots that show what you are talking about, post them here. That will get some attention.

We’ve got an engineer coming this morning to look at our Samsung TV that intermittently throws away channels 1 and 2 (and maybe others, but we haven’t looked). Of course, he is highly unlikely to see it happen while he’s here - but I can guarantee that the screenshots I captured on my iPad last time it happened will be available for his inspection :tongue:

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Boyce90
Explorer

Its extremley hard to get the impact on pictures as the camera blows them out. 

The only examples that I have is the comparision is of DV and HDR10 on Spiderman homecoming. 

When the camera takes the HDR10 pictures it makes the red look pink and over brightens it a bit but its just the camera. Its because the picture is so mich brighter on HDR10 than DV through HDMI. I assure you the picture in HDR10 is quite a mile better and brighter than DV which is just not right.
I have had my set proffesionally calibrated and he saw straight away that there is a problem. But in typical Sony fashion, they wont send out an engineer and say that nothing is wrong.

They need to send an engineer out as they will see for themselves.

Ill have to upload pictures later as apparently I have hit my limit but I havnt even uploaded anything :unamused: 

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Boyce90,

Just trying to help out here with a few tips.

• Have you tested other DV titles on the X700 other than one you mention?
  • Do you have an active internet connection both on the X700 and the AF8 during DV playback?
  • Have you verified that the date and time setting on both devices are set to be picked automatically through the network?

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Boyce90
Explorer

Hi. Thank you for a response. 

Yes all connected to the internet while dv disc is in playback. 

I tested Jumaji in DV and still the same thing happens and yes date and time on both the tv and uhd player are set automatically by network. 

It happens with Dolby vision on Apple tv 4k too  so its clearly a HDMI tone mapping problem as the problem is only there using external devices. Dolby Vision works fine on the TVs internal netflix app. This needs to be sorted. 

There are others that are having this issue with this set too. 

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Forgot to ask, even though from reading your OP it sounds like you are not using any type of A/V receiver between your X700 and the TV. But are both your X700 and ATV directly hooked to HDMI 2 & 3 and Enhanced Format is enabled for the HDMI inputs? Do you have the problem also if you only connect the X700 and leave all other HDMI inputs free?

Final question out of curiosity, you mention other users are having this issue too, could you post the links to those posts so we can have a look and read them too?

Thanks,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Boyce90
Explorer

No A/V reciever used. 

HDMI connections 2 and 3  have been enabled for full 4k.

Tried unplugging other HDMI cables and still doesnt work properly. 

5th comment down on the link on avsforums he says how the dolby vision is really really dim on apple tv. I have also uploaded pictures instead of links (ad they are all so spread out) of conversations Iv had about the issue.  943B1406-4DCF-467E-A5D7-5831BA656EF3.png

C6BC2C06-2DBE-4699-8218-49B0A3FB511C.png

33F2699B-92AC-46A8-81E1-10238FFB222F.png

12A05A61-0FCA-4719-B5B2-B22214ECC249.png

profile.country.DK.title
Filmfreak123
Explorer

Just found this old thread. Think I have exactly the same problem with my 2 month old AF8 TV.
When I see DV (Dolby Vision) content from Netflix on Apple TV 4K, the picture is very dark and dull.
When I see the same content from the TV's own Netflix built-in app. is the picture OK -  much brighter with DV

If I see HDR10 content from Apple TV, the picture is also OK.

Found in another forum a possible solution to changing "HDMI range" under "video options" to "Full" instead of "Auto" -
but unfortunately that did not change anything for me.

Something else that I find strange is that when I see some DV content and change the picture setting:
 'Peak Luminance' from 'off' to 'High' the picture is very (normal) bright in a split second.
And there is no difference in brightness when selecting 'high' off 'or' low '.
I found a video that shows exactly what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aoT4D_t8oo

Is there a solution to this problem?

profile.country.GB.title
cbur1985
New

Hi

Did anyone manage to get this AF8 Dolby Vision Dimming issue working? driving me nuts having bought a top class TV and a top class AV receiver yet Apple TV 4K picture just dims (Same issue as everyone else whereby Netflix looks brilliant and Dolby Vision through apple TV just dims the picture)

Out of ideas now, have even tried putting HDMI straight into the TV (same HMDI cable that Apple recommend that does support Dolby Vision)

Welcome any suggestions