Join now - be part of our community!

AF9 and Bravia Sync Arc problem

profile.country.GB.title
Tigermad71

AF9 and Bravia Sync Arc problem

I have the above tv. I want to disable Bravia sync since I dont require it.  I only use my av receiver for the sound and not the tv speakers. I don’t like the way it keeps popping up that it is changing speaker source when it doesn’t need to. I also use a harmony remote so don’t need the hdmi control function. The problem is when I disable Bravia sync I also lose arc so I get no sound from the inbuilt apps. Turn sync back on and all is well apart from the annoying speaker switch message every time I turn the tv on. Is it correct that Bravia sync needs to be left on for arc to work?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Tigermad71,

I'll see if I can find this out for you. Maybe someone else in the community can help in the meantime.

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi Tigermad71,

I don't really think that Bravia sync could disable the ARC function. I'd suggest that you try to start off with the basics:

1. Unplug the TV from the mains for a couple of minutes and replug it back. 
2. Use a different HDMI cable to connect the receiver.

3. Check for a firmware update through this link: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/oled-tvs-android-a9f_af9-series/kd-65af9/downloads/000159...

Let us know if the issue remains,

Vanilla_

profile.country.GB.title
Tigermad71

@Vanilla_ wrote:

Hi Tigermad71,

I don't really think that Bravia sync could disable the ARC function. I'd suggest that you try to start off with the basics:

1. Unplug the TV from the mains for a couple of minutes and replug it back. 
2. Use a different HDMI cable to connect the receiver.

3. Check for a firmware update through this link: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/oled-tvs-android-a9f_af9-series/kd-65af9/downloads/000159...

Let us know if the issue remains,

Vanilla_

Hi thanks for the reply. I have already checked all that. Arc is definately disabled with sync turned off. There are loads of posts on avforums in the uk confirming this so it’s not my setup it’s the tv. . So I have to leave it on and get the annoying speaker popups every time. 

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Tigermad71,

Our suggestion to you in order to avoid the pop-up is to disable the following two options on the TV:

• [HOME] > [Settings] > [External Inputs] > [BRAVIA Sync settings] > [Auto devices off]
  • [HOME] > [Settings] > [External Inputs] > [BRAVIA Sync settings] > [Auto TV on]

If you have similar options in your receiver (as you don't mention the brand and type), disable the power control options there too.

This will result that when turning on your TV, the receiver remains off and sound will be output through the TV provided that the [Speakers] settings in the [Action Menu] remains on [TV]. During this time there is no reason for the pop-up to appear since the receiver remains off.

If you then intend to use the receiver for multichannel playback, you easily can use the same [Speakers] setting in the [Action Menu] to select [Audio system]. The TV will then send a signal to turn on the receiver and use it for audio output. In fact as long as you don't change the audio output device, the pop-up should not be appearing. But that again depends on your particular receiver brand and model. The pop-up does not get triggered by Sony receivers when in use.

If you provide more details on when and how often the pop-up appears, we might be able to make a more tailored suggestion.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Tigermad71

@dutchice wrote:

Hi @Tigermad71,

Our suggestion to you in order to avoid the pop-up is to disable the following two options on the TV:

• [HOME] > [Settings] > [External Inputs] > [BRAVIA Sync settings] > [Auto devices off]
  • [HOME] > [Settings] > [External Inputs] > [BRAVIA Sync settings] > [Auto TV on]

If you have similar options in your receiver (as you don't mention the brand and type), disable the power control options there too.

This will result that when turning on your TV, the receiver remains off and sound will be output through the TV provided that the [Speakers] settings in the [Action Menu] remains on [TV]. During this time there is no reason for the pop-up to appear since the receiver remains off.

If you then intend to use the receiver for multichannel playback, you easily can use the same [Speakers] setting in the [Action Menu] to select [Audio system]. The TV will then send a signal to turn on the receiver and use it for audio output. In fact as long as you don't change the audio output device, the pop-up should not be appearing. But that again depends on your particular receiver brand and model. The pop-up does not get triggered by Sony receivers when in use.

If you provide more details on when and how often the pop-up appears, we might be able to make a more tailored suggestion.

Cheers,

Dutchice

Thanks for the reply. I have a denon avrx2000w receiver. I can’t disable the Bravia sync because the sound from the inbuilt tv apps doesn’t work through my receiver if I do this. I’m guessing this is because turning off Bravia sync also turns off arc. This is the problem I am getting. The only way to get sound from the inbuilt apps on the tv through my receiver is to leave sync on. 

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Tigermad71,

Correct, you should not disable BRAVIA Sync. The suggestion is to disable only the two options mentioned in the previous post as a workaround for the pop-up which you try to circumvent.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Tigermad71

@dutchice wrote:

Hi @Tigermad71,

Correct, you should not disable BRAVIA Sync. The suggestion is to disable only the two options mentioned in the previous post as a workaround for the pop-up which you try to circumvent.

Cheers,

Dutchice

Thanks. Just got home and looked at those options are already disabled. The thing that I need is for the tv to stay on audio system permanently. There is no need for the tv speaker option. I am only using the tv as a centre speaker along with my denon and other speakers. 

When i iturn everything off and back on the tv defaults to tv speakers until the denon receiver turns back on. Can’t audio system under speakers be kept on all the time?

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

@Tigermad71,

Thanks for providing the additional information. I understand better your situation now.

• Does the notification only say: "Audio system active." Or is it a different notification?
  • At what moment and how often do you receive the notification?

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Tigermad71

By the way@dutchice wrote:

@Tigermad71,

Thanks for providing the additional information. I understand better your situation now.

• Does the notification only say: "Audio system active." Or is it a different notification?
  • At what moment and how often do you receive the notification?

Cheers,

Dutchice

Hi. It pops up audio system active when I turn the receiver on. When I turn the receiver off it pops up tv speaker. I have to turn off everything apart from the tv so it can bring up the tv speaker message. Otherwise when I turn back on sometimes the it doesn’t switch to audio system. So in my harmony remote setup I have the receiver turning on last for the tv to pick up audio system and for the tv to remain on last when I power everything off. If my receiver is already turned on when I power the tv on it does not change to audio system and I can’t get sound from my receiver to watch Sky etc.

By the way the tv does not turn the receiver on.  I do it manually.