Join now - be part of our community!

All4 plays episode then restarts from beginning after advertisement

Lrtb007
Explorer

All4 plays episode then restarts from beginning after advertisement

My android all4 app worked fine before the update but now when I play any episode it will restart from the beginning after the 1st advertisements.

Anyone else? Or any help appreciated.

43 REPLIES 43
profile.country.GB.title
scottsweb
Explorer

I am suffering from this issue too and it drives me up the wall. I have given up using All 4 now.

profile.country.GB.title
simonandfelicity

I am the originator of this comment / complaint. If you follow the thread right down onto the YV pages you find the following: COMMENT Edit - 09/06/17 - This issue has since been resolved so if you experience any other issues with All4 or other players, please create a new thread and we can look into it there as a new issue. END COMMENT This is definitively not the case - in fact my original comment post-dates this remark! ALL4 is still performing as originally reported (as of 10 mins ago)
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@simonandfelicity

The record seems to show that this thread was in fact started by @Lrtb007.

i suggest you reread it carefullly; he is talking, a month ago, about the issue you reported here and in the YouView forum, a week or so back.

But this is NOT the issue which YouView replied about, as quoted by you; the quote was about, and from, these earlier and quite different All4 issues:-

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/issue-with-programme-playback-on-the-all-4-player

If you are using the All 4 player on your YouView box, you should be able to watch programmes but may experience a delay in playback of the programme and adverts not playing back correctly. 

If you are using the player on a Sony Android TV with YouView the advert may freeze or get stuck in a loop and the programme will not begin playback.

Note that neither of these is the ongoing 'restarts from beginning after an ad break' issue under discussion in this thread.

This has muddied the waters here quite considerably, but note that it is quite wrong to claim that those issues were not resolved; the issue that remains unresolved is the 'restart after ad break' issue.

Which I can't quite call a new issue, as it seems to be a weakness of All4 that it repeatedly falls prey to this issue on its various Players at various times; but this YouView one is certainly the latest outbreak, and I think we are all agreed it is unresolved at present, and nobody is claiming that this particular issue, on YouView as of now, has been resolved.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
simonandfelicity

Dear RoyaBrown,

Happy to acknowledge you as originitaor - obviously I tried to find any previous remarks before submitting my comments, in case there was a aolution (e.g. flush a cache ot rwo etc.) but the search facility seems a bit wobbly, since yours did not show up, at least to me.

Is it really a YouView problem? if you use the standalone All4 App, from the start page, I get the same result. Not sure if this is running under YV or not.

Certainly All4 used to work - not sure when it started doing this, Perhaps after Marshmallow?

Regards

S and F.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Hi @simonandfelicity

I wasn't the originator, @Lrtb007 was; I was just a contributor.

And like you, I am wondering where my posting went? But I guess you have the email.... (which I don't, as you don't get emails from your own postings).

But I'm not that worried about attributions - more that there was an earlier, and different, All4 problem, and it was this that Sarah was talking about being resolved, not the issue in this thread.

Whether it's a YouView problem or not is moot. The All4 app on the Sony TVs is provided by or through YouView, it goes away if you disable YouView, and it's the same App whether you start it from within YouView, or via the apparently 'standalone' app icon.

I think the app is written by Channel 4, probably with tweaks so it runs under YouView and only under YouView.

But the All4 app(s) on Amazon Fire devices were plagued by this exact issue a year ago - look under this App on Amazon to see the roster of complaints, quite possibly including one from me - so I see it as a weakness in their app design that keeps breaking out in different places.

As such, it's for Channel 4 to fix this, I think, and then for YouView to put it in their next release after it is fixed,

Not sure if it arrived with Marshmallow or not. The timing of the reports is much later than the first release of Marshmallow, but maybe it came with a letter release, as there were several 'fix' versions for Marxhmallow issues.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

Sony is aware of the All4 App issue.  On the 12-06-2017 I reported back to them that this issue was not fixed, as they received reports that it was. 

The confusion comes from an edited thread post on the YV forums which is referring to a different separate problem.

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/issue-with-programme-playback-on-the-all-4-player

YV - All4.jpg

Please do not confuse this with the current problem.  This has also been fed back to Sony too.  Along with the fact that this issue started since the MM update.  I'll attempt to get further info.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Odd - testing how my post might have gone missing after being posted successfully, as shown by the email being generated for those who are subscribed for this, and I cannot reproduce the issue.

EDIT: My 'lost' posting had taken a short vacation, but it is back in place now, looking tanned and rested 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sony agrees that this issue is not fixed.  However this is effectively out of their hands, its upto All4/YouView to fix.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
simonandfelicity

Received this today, although seems to have been sent two weeks ago - not sure why it has taken so long to be delivered! "Thank you for your email regarding All 4. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us and we are sorry to read that you have been experiencing issues with our All4 service. Please be advised that this issue has now been escalated to our technical team who will investigate the issue further. We would suggest that you keep an eye on the service for any updates and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused as a result. Thank you for taking the time to contact All 4. Kind regards, Noel Turner All 4 Support"
MorusN
Explorer

Since the most recent Android software update in early May, we are also experiencing problems watching any 4OD programmes via the Channel 4 player on Youview. After any advert break, the programme reverts back to the beginning & you need to fast forward it to where you were. This does not happen with ITV or Channel 5.

Timeline:

On 19-May, Channel 4's response to this was:

“Unfortunately, currently the app is not fully supported or optimized for any Android TV or Android Boxes and therefore we would be unable to provide any troubleshooting advice for this. It's currently only for Phones or Tablets.”

On 20-May, Sony raised case number 15742321. We went through factory re-sets, etc. to no avail.

On 07-June, Sony responded with a reference to:

On 09-June, this issue was marked as resolved.

We still have the issue.