Join now - be part of our community!

All4 plays episode then restarts from beginning after advertisement

Lrtb007
Explorer

All4 plays episode then restarts from beginning after advertisement

My android all4 app worked fine before the update but now when I play any episode it will restart from the beginning after the 1st advertisements.

Anyone else? Or any help appreciated.

43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @MorusN

Please read some of the replies above.  But in summary, Sony, All4 and YouView are aware of this issue.  Awaiting a resolution from All4/YouView.

Cheers

I'm experiencing the same problem. 

profile.country.GB.title
1951jg

Further to a couple of previous posts! Having spent much time on the phone with both Sony and All 4 it is clear that

a) you are correct Sony repeatedly deny having any responsibility for this issue that is associated with their Marshmallow update.

b) All4 are 'dealing' with the issue, but given they have just updated their software again, that caused even more problems, it is unlikely that the number of IT resources that this issue is receiving is pretty low to zero. Due to a relatively low number of Sony TV owners that are affected by this! I anticipate that it may never be fixed!

So Sony's solution to enable me to watch ALL4, that I watch their online content a lot of the time, AND the TV is the only means of my relaxing easily these dyas, due to my incapacities is as follows:

Factory reset the TV.

This removes Marshmallow.

Immediately go into 'about' and stop allowing it to update automatically.

It is then possible to do what I have been doing for the last 6 months, until a week ago when ALL4 updated their software that made this impossible as well! That is I use a tablet that I bought to measure my ECGs using another expensive app only, since I cannot read it due to my neck problems. I go into All4 on the tablet, select the programme I want to watch and then cast it to my TV.

Accoding to Sony the only way to cast is using Chromecast! But I do not think that this is necessary, although I tried it.  The built in casting software in my cheap tablet works better.

Out of interest, I also find that BBC iplayer provides more content via my tablet that the Sony You View version, including my local regional news that is not available on digital on my Sony TV!  Also You View has reduced significantly the number of channels available in the South West recently, with many of the +1 channels disappearing. Hence further need for the online versions.

Out of interest I also have awful problems with the amount of time that it takes every other time, if not every time, to switch on my TV, sometimes having to wait about 5 minutes! Another reason for needing good access to BBC iPlayer so that I can catch up with the news that I would otherwise miss by it turning on too late!

Anyway, for those of you for whom ALL4 is important to above is a temporary to permanent solution (depending on future ALL4 updates in software).

If however one is interested in the other aspects og the TV, like gaming, Utube, etc. etc. then staying with the Marshmallow, that was probably designed with these types of applications in mind, is probably more appropriate.

What I find interesting, or am disgusted by, is the fact that I bought a Smart TV precisely for what it was adverstised to do e.g. access You View, browser, google etc. YET it denies any responsibility for anything apart from the TV that at the moment I do not think is "fit for purpose". Every TV I have had prior to this one has been a Panasonic that I have never had any problems with at all, and if it did not have a smaller screen than the Sony, I cold still be using with my tablet and could have saved hundreds of pounds paying for a TV "that does not do what it says on the box"!

The browser will not enable me to access my online Times newspaper either that has to be casted if I can be bothered.  However I have run out of energy to do anything at the moment and my health is only going to get worse!

Yours

Continually frustrated Sony Bravia viewer!

Youtoobed
New

Same issue, not buying one of these terrible TVs again

Slow, and the apps crash constantly.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Well, just be careful if you switch to a Samsung TV, as All4 have just fubared their app on these TVs with their latest update.

All4 cannot get their app right so that it does not do the above; they fixed it on the Amazon Firestick, at last, and then broke it elsewhere.

Reprehensible.

But not, alas, confined to these Sony TVs.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
simonandfelicity

I just downloaded and installed (from USB) the latest version of firmware, 3.925. I then tried immediately to run All4. It seemed a bit clunky (5 seconds of blank screen) but pick up and then run through the first advertising break, and keep going. Possibly problem is now cured – can others try to confirm?
GoochyB
Explorer

I have run All4 twice in the last week or so and it has played properly through the ad breaks.  This was just with the latest auto updates, no manual update.
profile.country.GB.title
1951jg

Hi, Just a quicky since I started this original post.

I eventually realised a few weeks ago that All 4 was available since they had completely changed their ALL4 player for Android I assume. I had practically stopped watching Ch 4 because of this! Pure chance that I tried again on my tablet.

Neither Sony nor All4 responded to the original queries to say that this had been done!!

So the issue was All4 from the start and not Sony, although their original eventual suggestion of removing marshmallow did work for a couple of weeks until patch 1 (?!!) was made by ALL4!

I believe that although I stopped updates happenenig as advised by Sony; my assumption being that this would stop any update occuring including from Apps, that given the number of long periods of updating (?!!) on occasions, I may be back to marshmallow anyway, although I have not had the energy to check.

What is annoying me now is the most recent update to BBCiPlayer, that I use the most. Especially as living in the South West one can get HD on iplayer but not on digital one has to change channel when the regional news kicks in!  I also watch a lot of documentaries and sereies on the BBC (more so that I have not been able to watch Walter Presents.

Anyway to the issue! I have been using the beta version of iPlayer for sometime that has also been updated with no warning at all on the app or via BBC emails!  I have not yet reverted to the non-beta version to see if this has not changed but I suspect it has? They have now completely changed they layout of the app..  It is also the same on my very cheap tablet, bought originally for a single different purpose to monitor my heart for AF.  However, it is easier to use on the tablet since it is designed for touch screens.

My Sony KD-43X8305C does NOT have a touch screen, nor does my large screen monitor for my computer that is the only thing I can actually read other than me TY due to my health problems.  So now something else is sending me round the bend, since I cannot easily find any more what I want to watch etc.  Maybe I should start another thread?

But since I have been ill twice since I started this thread and continue with my deteriorating health problems as well as running out of money, since I did not budget to live in our throw away society, to continualy replace hogh cost items on a regular basis. I am going to leave this to the moderqator to pick up and maybe respond to?

In addition it takes forever to turn my TV on and sometimes I have to start to turn it off again to get a picture or the Home menu or I have to start all over again.  This means that if I remember to watch the news at 6pm I actually need to switch on the TV to get BBC iplayer in time for 6pm, so that I am in time for CH4 news live!

Apparently this is probably due to my internet connection that I changed to Sony's specs but I think that it has automativally changed the back from 2.5 to 5Giga hertz.

Oh how I wish that I had never bought this TV, just as my health started to deteriorate substantially!

Kind Regards

1951jg

profile.country.GB.title
scottsweb
Explorer

Oh how I wish that I had never bought this TV...

This sums it up beautifully for me. I am stuck with a device that continually fails to do the task at hand. I have also learnt to turn the TV well before I need it, you just don't know what will happen with the thing!

profile.country.GB.title
1951jg

See above. All should be OK for ALL4 now. Late in replying!