Join now - be part of our community!

Amazon Prime Music app

dqtvsound
New

Amazon Prime Music app

Hi,

When will Sony get around to supporting this? I've asked Amazon the question too. The fact that we can access Spotify and Google Play music on the KD 55X8509C makes it really frustrating that I can't get my Amazon music on either the TV or the PS4.

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately it is not Sony's responsibility to create apps for the TV - For apps on Android TV, it is up to the company behind the app (i.e. Amazon) to create one for the Android TV and then get certified by Google to be available in the Google Play Store on the TV.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
daryah
New

It is Sony's responsibility to properly document what is possible with the TV. I bought my Bravia / Android TV yesterday and find this TV very poorly documented. The shop manager was not particularly helpful on this either and was just trying to google the solution. Luckily there is this forum...

I managed to get the Amazon Music app on the TV last night. Fairly straightforward and a few youtube videos clearly show how to sideload apps onto the TV.

You need to download the APK from the web and put it on a local NAS or cloud storage. You then launch the APK using ES File Explorer or some other file manager app, after you have have accepted installing from unknown sources. Also there is another offical app called HALauncher you need to install in order to launch Amazon Music once its installed.

The app is not optimized for the tv but usable enough so have to resort to a usb wireless keyboard / touchpad I had lying around. Just look on ebay/Amazon and they cost around a fiver. Good luck!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It is Sony's responsibility to properly document what is possible with the TV.

Oh come on. The world has changed. We live in times of platforms which are open to developers and service providers all around the world.

This thing is an Android TV so it is your responsibility to find out which apps are available and which are not.

It is not Sony's fault that Amazon holds a personal grudge against Google. Their mobile apps can't even do Chromecast. I personally plan to boycott Amazon for their poor services, not prolonging my Amazon Prime subscription.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

I personally plan to boycott Amazon for their poor services, not prolonging my Amazon Prime subscription.

That's what I told to the Amazon support girl as well, when I called about the poor performances of the Amazon Video app. But I was lying. When I want to buy something in the Internet I usually end up in Amazon because of the best prices (and reliability). As an Amazon Prime subsciber I have even got a total of 7€ in discounts up to now.  It may end up paying by itself!

darr529
New

I recently purchased a 2019 SONY Smart TV and it does not offer the Amazon Music app. I am able to play my Amazon Music Unlimited through my old Roku that was setup with the TV that this one replaced. Rokus do not cost much so use one of them if you can.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You don't even need an external box, just cast your music from the app on the smartphone and it'll play on your android tv

profile.country.GB.title
everss02
Explorer

You can use the new Alexa app, it's basically built into that. The sound quality is top notch in it.

Even side-loading the version from the nvidia shield  TV they prevent from working as "not supported".

Too bad the shield TV doesn't have a tuner, it would be killer device, I still love my gen 1 though.