Join now - be part of our community!

Analog AV adapter for composite input on a Sony Bravia XE83

profile.country.GB.title
stufffwww
New

Analog AV adapter for composite input on a Sony Bravia XE83

What kind of adaptor is used for the AV analog Composite input on a Sony Bravia XE83 TV made in 2017?

I have been searching for this online and I have unfortunately not found any information...

I assume it is the same kind of adaptor used for a Raspberry Pi AV output but I cannot find any info.

I tried contacting their “Sony Support Team”, but that was absolutely useless.

This was their answer: “please be advised that the converter/adapter is not a Sony product hence, the information is not to be provided from our end.”

I have a similar adaptor here but when I plug it in I get no signal whatsoever. The image stays black as if nothing is plugged in.

I could use the Composite input in the Component, but this is already used with a Component device.

If someone could provide a direct link to be able to buy one on either eBay or Amazon or a similar site in or around the UK would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance 😊

AV IN 1 connector

7C0EDA40-11D3-448A-815A-F4A1373F3DFC.jpeg

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

You are on the right track - below is what your manual shows.

So the questions become what are you trying to send, down which wires, is your tip and ring arranged like Sony describe, and is what you show a 3.5mm connector, not a 2.5mm one?

Yours looks like a 3.5; and a 2.5 would likely not click in like it should, and would just flop about.

I guess you know it’s white for left audio, red for right audio, and yellow for video?

Make sure your connector is pushed right home, not just partway in.

i would start with audio first, as analogue audio is pretty unproblematic; with the TV set for AV IN 1, connect an audio source to first the white plug, then the red, then finally the yellow.

i would expect sound from the left of the TV, or possibly both sides if it is smart about mono, from the white plug, sound on the right from the red plug, and nothing from the yellow plug.

if you get sound, but different from what I describe, your adaptor is wired differently from what Sony expect.

This is only a problem if Ground on your adaptor is other than 3 below. Have you got a meter you can test continuity with, to see which input goes to which section of the tip and ring, if things don’t work as above?

But if you get what I describe, try your composite sending device’s video on the yellow plug.

if still no go, then try the device, temporarily, with the composite in on the component input, and see if that works.

Please post back with your results when you have tried the above; either to report success, or so we can see what else I can suggest if you don’t get it working.

DD555516-228B-475D-BD27-C1B6D9189528.png

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking

I had the same problem with my 55 a1e using an off-the-shelf adapter cable. I had to take the connector apart and resolder as shown in your previous image. Works just fine now, thanks!