Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi Guys well the file has been uploaded on the Sony UK website I have downloaded it here at the College here in West London they have a mega fast virgin broadband connection so iv now got it on a USB stick ready for me to upload it to my Kd-43x8307C when I get home from work. 

I work in IT services here so we never stop... Lol

profile.country.GB.title
HUSH2H

i unzipped the file, put it on a - SONY - usb stick and the tv started updating itself

after 10 minutes the screen turned black and the bottom light is cycling thru colors, nothing else. UPDATE FAILED

Charlie20v
Explorer

All seems good so far, navigating through menus is a lot smoother and the new volume bar is so much nicer. Hopefully my tv wont randomly turn itself on in the middle of the night anymore 

Also, the lipsync on youtube is fixed!!

@HUSH2H wrote:

i unzipped the file, put it on a - SONY - usb stick and the tv started updating itself

after 10 minutes the screen turned black and the bottom light is cycling thru colors, nothing else

Unplug the tv. Connect the USB in USB port 1. Turn the set on and wait 15-30 minutes - this will help (same procedure if you change the mainboard)

kimboman84
Explorer

I've seen that these files has been posted on the Sony UK website, but the file names seem to reference EU....can anyone confirm if these firmware versions are suitable for UK (e.g. contain YouView etc.)?

Cheers!

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Charlie20v wrote:

All seems good so far, navigating through menus is a lot smoother and the new volume bar is so much nicer. Hopefully my tv wont randomly turn itself on in the middle of the night anymore 

Also, the lipsync on youtube is fixed!!

Can you test Grand Tour on Amazon Prime for lip sync as well? This has horredous issues with 5.1 sound.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Yes go for it this file is for whole of EU. It's on the UK site so no need to wait download it stick it in on a USB TV will see the file and it will update it self or you can just wait for the auto update kick in. Upto to you 🤓 

Iv downloaded it already and I live in London UK 

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Anonymous - Rtings reported substantial improvement in input lag for HDR with the US version. Can you confirm this is true for EU?

They said it went down from 58ms to 31ms

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850c

kimboman84
Explorer

Great! Thanks @Marcd51!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Risc0n - Sony will not release that info (I asked yesterday).  So its up to review sites like rtings.  For the first time ever, they have done a half decent log of improvements:

BENEFITS AND IMPROVEMENTS FROM THE PREVIOUS UPDATE

This firmware update introduces Android Marshmallow to Sony's Android TV

• The following issues are improved by this firmware:
    • All frequencies can now be output from the SWF-BR100 Wireless Subwoofer
    • TV response rate with Astra signal
    • Judder issue with HDMI Ultra-High-Definition (UHD) signal after deep standby
    • Response time on satellite channel setting screens
  • The following issues are resolved by this firmware:
    • USB video aspect ratio display for 21:9 content
    • Recording issue with Stofa Neotion Dual CAM
    • Electronic program guide (EPG) when viewing sales or advertising (Barker) channel with video and audio enabled
    • Voice command issues
    • Channel list issue when importing new lists
    • Network connection failure (WLAN/LAN)
    • Danish mistranslations
    • Danish DR issue - playback stops when closing dialog box
    • When turning off the TV via the remote, audio and video remains muted for several seconds before the TV turns off
    • EPG information not available on Spanish TVE
    • Abnormal “Pop” noise when changing the channel
    • TV doesn’t turn on after performing a factory data reset
    • Black picture when CI+ CAM is inserted
    • No picture / audio on FunBox 4K UHD satellite channel
    • Blinking light appears when opening the guide
    • YouTube cast issue when language is set to Hebrew
    • HDMI Dynamic Range malfunction
    • Issue with 'Auto picture' mode
    • Football mode functionality issue after performing a power cycle