Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Timmy1967
Explorer

Just  tweet  to @SonyUK  that the support for android TV is rubbish .You get answer as Sony like all big companies don't ignore social media

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

Believe it or not, I just saw an article on a French Android News Website (FrAndroid) that says Sony is gonna release Android 7 Nougat to all 2015/2016 TVs.

When you see what is happening with 6.0 Marshmallow this is just a joke.

They cannot launch a 2 years old version they should keep low profile.

The source is not discolsed on the site but should be some spokeperson from Sony (I'm searching)

You can read it here (use Google translate for non french)

http://www.frandroid.com/marques/sony/405613_sony-va-deployer-nougat-sur-ses-televiseurs-sous-androi...

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi Thats very intresting read !!!

This maybe why we us 2015 Andriod TV have been wating for .. I am not getting excited althrough I am also a owner of a Xperia Z5 mobile here in the UK and a news blog from Xperia blog has announcved thae Sony have now relased the much antiipated Andriod Nugat 7 for my mobile .

This could explain why we have been wating soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long for the update .

I have allready rasied my concerses and complaints with Sony Tech here in the UK regarding the shocking customer service regarding these much needed software update .

I have a Sony KD-43x8307c only three months now its a fantastic TV but its badly held back by the bugs in Lollipop and bad memory management so either Marshmellow or Nugat will be great may not be perfect but Matshmellow will iron out alot of the bug all ready .

We have waitied so long if Sony anncouced a big ask that they will realse Nugart for 2015/16 TV then its worth the wait how true is that source ??

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Yeah... well... it was announced by Sony's Motoi Kawamura, also see here. Last year he announced the 2016 platform with faster processor, Android 6 Marshmallow and YouTube HDR support via VP9-profile 2 decoding. As we know today, all this is not true for the spring 2016 models (XD85/XD93/XD94), which got the old 2015 platform, still sitting on the age-old Android 5 Lollipop.

So take Sony annoucements with a grain of salt. It is certainly not time to celebrate. Sony hasn't delivered even last year's promises yet.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Marcd51 schrieb:

We have waitied so long if Sony anncouced a big ask that they will realse Nugart for 2015/16 TV then its worth the wait how true is that source ??

Don't be fooled by the announcement. I am sure that Nougat is still quite some months away. It does not mean that Sony will skip Marshmallow which they are still struggling to get stable...

profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

Just recently I've been told by Sony support engineer over the phone (in unrelated HDMI/ARC case) that version 6.0.1 will be rolled out to most current EU TV sets during 1st quarter of this year.

The person was fairly sure about this, so *maybe* this time its true.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Guess he told you that the 6.0.1 update will fix your ARC issue? These are the top 3 answers by Sony support:

- perform a factory reset (it hardly ever helps)

- next FW will fix everything (it never does)

- everything is well within specification

Actually these are the only answers you'll ever get...

So they basically increased their buffer by another 3 months to get things stable. Let's see whether they can finally meet this deadline after delaying it over and over again throughout all of 2016 and what the update will actually bring...

profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

Damn, how could you know! :slight_smile:

I've been through step 1 and lost whole afternoon, without any change,

The man did say that there are significant changes in ver 6 which might improve my audio drop outs.

I'm waiting for tech to come and perform "hardware verification" - whatever that means, I'm fairly sure it's not a HW problem.

I've send them a ton of logs from Kodi, Plex and TV as well, but they seem to ignore it.

Now I'm actually considering getting new AVR, mine is a bit outdated anyway, but I'm still looking for a way to confirm which AVRs don't have any issues with Sony. Preferably within 1k€ range, with Atmos and DTS:X decoders.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisc383 - obviously still early days but Sony have the STR-DN1080 coming out soonish in regards to an AV Receiver - Atmos and DTS:X

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Wow, that's bold. Suggesting a Sony product to people who have totally broken Sony products at home ^^ .