Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@pajo100 wrote:

Because Google make Android as a standard o/s and it is up to manafacturers /equipment/users to give them feedback for any inconsistances related to their equipment hence the wait for updates from Sony Nvidia etc.

ermmmmm.......... So they tell google that something doesn't work and then google should go and write/fix their drivers?

@pajo100 wrote:

Saw a recent post where someone said ES explorer was causing usb problems he unistalled it and all was fine after that so might be worth a try.

While ES is bloated POS nowdays, things are broken even with out it. Though, paid version is still great.
profile.country.GB.title
Will_cain

SonyKD49X8305CB

I switched updates off when I saw the Marshmallow release was being rolled out and kept an eye on all the problems on this site.

Strangely my TV has got better and better, don't ask me why,  so much so I have very few problems or even network issues. This might be because I connect with Etherenet and switch the thing totally off regularly. I have no apps istalled and the only USB  device I use is a disk drive which records flawlessly. I use Netflix and iplayer and use it as a monitor for my media centre PC.

So can anyone say with certainty that I should switch the updates back on and get the benefit? of the Marshmallow release or is ita case of if it's not broke don't fix it.

profile.country.SE.title
joeldeluxe

Android TV updates apps in the background for example Google Cast API and webkit UI as long as you are on the firmware. And now 7.0 is out :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Harry12345
Explorer

I'd stay away from 7.  Not sure if Sony releases new version with bugs to force users to change TVs or are simply useless when it come to writing firmware. I put up with crappy firmware that had sync issues , channels not found , no signal when same antenna cable was running a crappy Chinese no name brand with no issues and showing full signal, frequent rebooting while watching a program, etc,  for about a year before they finally got a version that fixed the issues so after 2017 I stopped updating the firmware and had no issues at all. Two weeks ago I did something STUPID, after reading Sony's BS about new firmware having security upgrades I got conned into upgrading the firmware. The next day the problems began again, rebooting while watching tv and TV crashing with flashing red light that require the TV to be unplugged for a few minutes to get it restarted. 

Needless to say I will never buy a Sony TV again , while the box itself is ok and has decent picture the firmware is crap. To add insult to injury we are unable to downgrade the firmware to a previous version that works ok so its a matter of nagging Sony to release an upgrade or give up and buy another TV. Luckily for me the crappy Chinese no brand TV that I had for 8 years now is still working ok so I can use that while I'm looking for a solution to downgrade the firmware or buy another NOT SONY tv.