Join now - be part of our community!

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

I just read about the upcoming Nougat update for (US?) sony TVs, for example the KDX8300D.

Any idea if this will also happen at the same time for the (UK?) XD83, and if so if this will fix the 5.1 issues?

Thanks!

346 REPLIES 346
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @krs12345

At current there are two versions of Sony Android based TVs.  Which are:

Android TV Models.jpg

HLG has only been announced for the ATV 2 models as far as I believe.  Both ATV1 and 2 use different Mediatek SOC chipsets.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greetings @boseguer

Unfortunately you have arrived on the UK and EU Sony forums.  We have not had a Nougat roll-out on our TVs yet.  Only a few weeks ago we got the Marshmallow update.

So unfortunately no one would be able to confirm these issues over here.  The current bug and issues list for UK/EU can be found:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-bugs-and-issues/td-p/2040020

One bit of advice - Factory reset your TV after a major FW update, especially if you are experiencing issues afterwards.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

Berto, 

Could you please tell me if after the update you are able to passthrough 5.1 audio in any app other than the native video player?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

So the 2015 owners get shafted by sony. They are leaving android 6 a mess and moving on. Just don't buy Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@boseguer wrote:

Hello from Florida -- yesterday, my Sony Android TV asked if wanted to upgrade to Androin 7.0 ... I said yes!

The upgrade did little to fix issues (as discussed here before) but rather game a number of NEW ISSUES as follows:

1- USB drive does NOT WORK, the Android TV does not recognize the programs on the USB, many times it would freeze or go very slow and would NOT OPEN the programs on the USB.  I had to remove the USB!

2- Many programs CRASH, these are programs from the Google Market! example: HAL Launcher -- hate this. 

3- The TV is NOW VERY VERY SLOW, the settings are SLOW or crash. 

4- Did not Get Picture on Picture as promised on this update. 

Of course cannot go back.  Anyone else having these issues AND FIXES?

Thanks, Berto

All this happens on android 6 but #sony can't\won't fix the problems. Send your TV back if you can.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

and where did you get that info? So far, the plan is still to bring nougat to all TVs. Not that this means much considering how successfull MM update is, but still, they didn't abandon anyone. Yet.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@kinggo01 wrote:

and where did you get that info? So far, the plan is still to bring nougat to all TVs. Not that this means much considering how successfull MM update is, but still, they didn't abandon anyone. Yet.

From Sony surpport.

But lets make it clear that #sony can't fix most the problems since these TVs came out. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@boseguer wrote:

2- Many programs CRASH, these are programs from the Google Market! example: HAL Launcher -- hate this. 

No, here you must blame Google. They don't like us to remove their Leanback adware using a custom launcher. Actually I thought HAL Launcher was crashing even in 6.0.1, or so I have read in the app description in Google Play. Google indeed removed the option to disable/hide Leanback and that creates a conflict.

Also I've read orther people saying that PiP (picture in picture) does work. I'm suprised it doesn't for you.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@newbix wrote:

All this happens on android 6 but #sony can't\won't fix the problems. Send your TV back if you can.

More than Sony I'd blame Mediatek. And sure, Sony for buying their cheap HW with bad development support.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@Jecht_Sin wrote:

@newbix wrote:

More than Sony I'd blame Mediatek. And sure, Sony for buying their cheap HW with bad development support.

Are Mediatek devs working on android for us? then yes I would blame them.

But at the end of the day it's up to #sony to push for the fixs we need.