Join now - be part of our community!

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

I just read about the upcoming Nougat update for (US?) sony TVs, for example the KDX8300D.

Any idea if this will also happen at the same time for the (UK?) XD83, and if so if this will fix the 5.1 issues?

Thanks!

346 REPLIES 346
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@newbix wrote:

Are Mediatek devs working on android for us? then yes I would blame them.

But at the end of the day it's up to #sony to push for the fixs we need.

Sure, I believe Sony pushes. But ask anyone owning an Xperia with a Mediatek SoC how happy they are. I believe the Xperia XA still has to receive the Android 7.0 upgrade (I've got it before Christmas on my Xperia X Compact). The Xperia C4/C5/M5 had all kind of issues with the theme engine, and it took one year to have them fixed. I don't know about device driver issues like the USB problems, crashes and reboots (!!), like it is the case with our tvs, though.

The problem is that Mediatek may make some decent HW, but then their development is not on par. And to make things worse, Mediatek doesn't (or at least didn't) share its proprietary code with Sony. The only good news is that, since the 2016 ATV2 tvs share the SoC with the XE series, we should (hopefully!) get the Android O upgrade as well. In a very distant future and probably bugged as ever, sure.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@Jecht_Sin wrote:

@newbix wrote:

Are Mediatek devs working on android for us? then yes I would blame them.

But at the end of the day it's up to #sony to push for the fixs we need.

Sure, I believe Sony pushes. But ask anyone owning an Xperia with a Mediatek SoC how happy they are. I believe the Xperia XA still has to receive the Android 7.0 upgrade (I've got it before Christmas on my Xperia X Compact). The Xperia C4/C5/M5 had all kind of issues with the theme engine, and it took one year to have them fixed. I don't know about device driver issues like the USB problems, crashes and reboots (!!), like it is the case with our tvs, though.

The problem is that Mediatek may make some decent HW, but then their development is not on par. And to make things worse, Mediatek doesn't (or at least didn't) share its proprietary code with Sony. The only good news is that, since the 2016 ATV2 tvs share the SoC with the XE series, we should (hopefully!) get the Android O upgrade as well. In a very distant future and probably bugged as ever, sure.

Wonder if mobile uncle tools 2017 will work on our tv?  worth a shot

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Apparently Android 7.0 for the ATV2 Bravia (late 2016 and beyond) will come... Tomorrow!! :grin:

http://flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1496115817

Android 7.0 (Nougat) on Sony TVs

When: May 31st
Affected devices:
2016 Sony's Android TVs (XD 70, 75, 80, 83 and ZD9 / Z9D)
2017 Sony's Android TVs (XE 80, 83, 85, 90, 93, 94 and A1 OLED)

Finger crossed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Please see:

http://services.sony.co.uk/support/en/welcome-to-android-nougat

Like Marshmallow, ATV2 TVs will be updated first.  ATV1 will be updated at a later point.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
chenks76
Explorer

a "TV Software Update" has just appeared on my homescreen, and selecting it just opens a webpage.
i assume that means my TV is in the line to get it ?
it's a KD-43XD8305

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

H @Anonymous

Seems that 2015 models are not included. Am I wrong?

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @MiCal1967 and others

2015 and early 2016 TVs will be updated to Android 7 (Nougat) at a later date in the year - ETA unknown (and even if it was, I wouldnt be able to share it).

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

I just got a message / link on my UK TV saying the update will be available from today, and will be pushed throughout the summer.

IMG_20170530_203747.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

It's out!

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xd80xx_x80xxd-series/kd-49xd8099/download...

Hopefully it will work on all European televisions, because in Italy it still has to arrive. :slight_smile:

And heeere it is! 

Bravia_2017-05 31_12.33.01.png

profile.country.GB.title
sparkes81

This is good news.

Sooner rather than later would be even better news.