Join now - be part of our community!

(Android 8.0 Oreo bug) XF9005 reboot automatically when turn on the TV in Oreo update

profile.country.GB.title
wuyuankai

(Android 8.0 Oreo bug) XF9005 reboot automatically when turn on the TV in Oreo update

Hi

I updated my TV to Oreo, it's working fine except that after a long period of standing by, when I turn the TV on, it will show the Home Screen for 1 sec, then it reboots it self, it shows Sony logo then Android logo animation, it taks 1 min or so to boot.

If I hit power to go to standby and turn it back on again, or in a short amount of time, it won't reboot itself, I only notice this after a long period of time of stand by, e.g. turn on TV next day, it will go to this boot cycle.

My setup:

XF9005 on Oreo V6.5830 android, connect Sonos Beam with ARC, connected to internet by Wifi

Sony could you confirm if this is a known bug in the update?

195 REPLIES 195
profile.country.GB.title
mdotrahman9

@rooobb

I'm not sure if you read my post properly.

I have my soundbox connected via audio out (analog) using the headphone output as line-out, not optical. It's not relevant but I only mentioned it because most people who have this problem, also have their soundbar connected via HDMI ARC. But like I said, I don't, but still experience the same issue.

I use HDMI-CEC which Sony calls Bravia Sync (other manufacturers call it other things) to control playback on my Chromecast connected via HDMI (I prefer not to use the built-in Chromecast, don't ask).

As mentioned by other posters previously it seems like the issue is definitely HDMI related.

I just wanted to see if others are still experiencing the issue after the recent update, and if so, Sony need to do something because it seems like they've released a bogus update.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@mdotrahman9 sorry i sure didn't undesrtand. to wake up your tv it could be the braviasync, worth a try. I was mislead by you mentioning the soundbar. WHy do you use it via analog connectio btw? it's the more inefficient..

profile.country.GB.title
mdotrahman9

@rooobb

I appreciate your input but it has nothing to do with the issues raised in this thread.

Are you or have you experienced the same issues as other people in this thread? Have you read the first post or browsed through much of it to understand the issue at hand? I feel you're adding unnecessarily to this thread and making it longer than necessary.

Since you're keen to know why I use analog? It's because I don't have a 2m+ optical cable to run up the wall and the sound quality is good enough for me. Like I said, I only mentioned this just to point out that the problem isn't just ARC related as I don't use ARC.

Please read my last few posts again—and if you don't understand it then maybe you should just skip it. Apologies for being so blunt. Thanks

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sorry @mdotrahman9 didn't mean to disturb you, and no I do not experience any reboot on my own tv after oreo update nor I heard of it anywhere in the italian community or the uk one apart this thread.

for the analogue connection you loose any multichannel audio, but I agree it is OT and it is up to you anyway

profile.country.GB.title
Talljed

Hi,

I have tried so many settings to try and stop the reboot from standby issue. 

Not sure if this helps but Bravia sync in my scenario (Sonos beam connected to HDMI ARC) can't be disabled (disable button greyed out). If I disconnect the Sonos beam then I can disable Bravia sync, but on reconnecting the Sonos Beam it doesn't work (no audio from beam). So not sure how I can disable Bravia Sync and still use the Beam connected to HDMI ARC. 

From my pain over the last 8 months or so with this I can confirm that.

1. The issue does not recur if the Sonos beam is disconnected from HDMI ARC
  2. The issue does not recur if the Sonos beam is connected to the optical output on the TV (Sonos HDMI to optical adapter). I still get Dolby 5.1 connected this way, but the volume control for the Beam is controlled using IR.
  3. The issue does not recur if the Sonos beam is connected to HDMI ARC and internal Wifi is disabled. 

Not sure if that helps point the root cause, it certainly hasn't appeared to have helped Sony who seem to have no idea how to resolve this. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

HDMI ARC rely on CEC. you cannot disable it.

profile.country.GB.title
mdotrahman9

@Talljed I'm pretty sure @rooobb is correct.

HDMI ARC rely on CEC. you cannot disable it.

Just for clarification: Bravia Sync is Sony's implementation of HDMI-CEC (or just CEC)

ARC—which is just a relay channel for audio via a HDMI cable, exactly what it says on the tin lol—is controlled through HDMI-CEC so you won't be able to use ARC if CEC is disabled. The Sonos Beam will need to tell the TV to switch to ARC for sound output, hence why you can't hear sound after reconnecting it with Bravia Sync disabled.

CEC enables devices to control the TV through HDMI i.e. turn the TV on/off. The device that most people are experiencing this problem with is a soundbar and in my case a Chromecast. It will likely apply to any other device that can send CEC commands, because it seems quite likely that CEC is the issue here.

I will keep CEC disabled for a few weeks to see if the reboots stop happening. Hopefully Sony check this thread, as I prefer not to open an individual case and go through months of unnecessary headache.

___

Link from Sonos explains ARC CEC

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/enabling-cec-on-your-tv-for-beam-6810049

profile.country.NL.title
Rico112

@mdotrahman9 my excuse for the remove of my comment. i have connect my Sonos beam via optical input on tv i have now run an nvidia shield tv on arc i have zero problems whit the tv but is still strange wy the tv reboot if i connect the sonos beam on arc on my kd-49xg8196. i think its an compatibility isseu whit sonos and Sony? is that possibility ? here the same issue. i have try also everything.

profile.country.GB.title
wingston

Thanks for the suggestion about using the nvidia shield.  Just out of interest, once you have that plug in how do you watch Live TV?

profile.country.NL.title
Rico112

@wingston i watch live tv on my setup box from my provider connect to hdmi 1.