Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8

profile.country.GB.title
Crooooooky
Explorer

Android 8

Hi Sony world... I’m purchasing a kd xf9005 65” tv in 3 days... I’m worried about the review regarding it’s slow operating system, the review states that the only hope is android 8 will cure the sluggishness etc.

Is the any sign of it yet... 

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

https://community.sony.at/t5/android-tv/oreo-update-any-time-soon/td-p/2494867

Never buy Sony for the integrated stuff, only if you connect boxes...

profile.country.SI.title
mikrohard
Explorer

I'm 99.9999% sure that Oreo will bring ZERO performance improvements to ATV2 devices. There is simply no way to fix the underpowered low-end chipset performance with software. Keep in mind that by buying the 2018 Sony TV, you get the same chipset (CPU/GPU/RAM) as all Sony TVs from mid 2016 onwards. Which means that you're buying a 2 year old computer with a new display. And the computer was already low-end performace at the time of the release.

profile.country.ES.title
wrcimation
Explorer

Yea maaaaaaybe the update will fix some animations or something but dont get high hopes for better multitasking/responsivness on a mediatek mt5891 and pair with a 1.5gb ram, it's just sad, but hey if you tweak and remove all garbage with adb, you just can use the TV "OK". Only downside, it's the Soc just can't hold 4k hvec hdr codec at more than 60mbps ~ bitrate, so for certain titles with plex o other players it just cant hold.

And just that not counting the 100mbps ethernet interface (what a joke in 2018) and the wifi 5ghz just capped out at 160mbps because og its implementation on USB2 interface (and the tv has usb 3.0 working), just many things.

Oreo will not solve all this.

PD: kd-49xf9005 owner here

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Looks like only next HW platform generation can fix the sluggishness. MT5893 (MT5598) builds on a quad-core ARM Cortex A73 running @1.5GHz and Mali G71 graphics. That's quite a boost compared to previous generations. I doubt that MediaTek will fix the many driver bugs though and Sony will most probably keep their bloat and awful tuner integration. So even for ATV3, the bad drivers and services will most probably keep the OS from running fine, not to mention ATV2 (early 2018 and earlier) with its awfully slow SoC. Don't expect the experience to be a good one ever on the latter.

jiffry_vip
Explorer

hi 

my tv kd-55x9000f

way not yat? 

i thod in ferist february !!!

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

The update to Oreo has been temporarily suspended due to some bugs found, mainly concerning the HDMI ARC connection with Yamaha audio devices. If you do not have this type of device and you want to update anyway you can download the file from the support page to your model and update via USB.

Manolo