Join now - be part of our community!

Android TV DLNA streaming

SOLVED
therealdj
New

Android TV DLNA streaming

Hi All, 

Ive just bought myself a new BRAVIA KD55X8509C Android television.

With my previous LG TV I could stream videos easily from a NAS drive connected to the network, (it appears as another input next to th HDMI's). 

Does anyone know the easiest way to do this on the Android TV? I didnt want to have to go though the fuss of installing XBMC etc. 

Thanks for your help! 

Dave J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You have just to run the app related to the multimedia file you want to show (i.e. Video for movie or Album for photo) and there in the device option  you'll see your DLNA compatible servers.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You have just to run the app related to the multimedia file you want to show (i.e. Video for movie or Album for photo) and there in the device option  you'll see your DLNA compatible servers.

therealdj
New

Thanks for that!, after a reboot of the TV the streaming box appeared!.
Thanks for your help!
david3960
Explorer

I have 2 sony TV's a 55" 2013 model and a 65" 'wedge' 2014 model both read my 5TB hard drive when connected via USB with no problem. They also read my 12TB NAS drive when connected via Wireless and play the files with no problem.
I want to buy the a 65XD9305BU TV  went to Curry's store plugged in my 5TB hard drive and it was struggling to read the drive got to 'A' and that was it. The LG next to it read it quickly with no issues, Is this going to be the same situation when accessing my films via wireless connection to my 12TB NAS drive connected to my router ? I am really disappointed that the new TVs don't seem to support this ? Can anyone advise before I buy and make a expensive mistake

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Did you open your hdd via the video stock app? If yes the struggling is due to the app trying to catalogue every content of the hdd on the first access. You have several different player Android and he stock app don't work in the same way over dlna. You won't have any problem

david3960
Explorer

Thanks for the reply,

The HDD did not appear on the the connected devices list which is how I connect to it on my old tvs, it was I beleive accessed via the app you mention in the shop. 

So are we saying I cannot access the HDD contect on this TV as it does not appear on connected devices ? but will be able to connect and play content on my 12 TB NAS drive via wireless ? It seem odd that Sony have made  HDD contect not accessable via USB / connected devices ?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It doesn't show there like in any android. You can still install a file manager and access it directly or via any other app like kodi or vlc