Join now - be part of our community!

Android TV on most 2018/2019 BRAVIAs END OF LIVE!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Android TV on most 2018/2019 BRAVIAs END OF LIVE!

Sony recently announced that they have no plans on updating BRAVIAs based on ATV2/ATV3 (MediaTek MT5891) to Android TV 9.0 Pie. This includes most models from 2017 and 2018 (like the famous X900E and X900F) and also some from 2019 (like the AG8 OLED). Find more about the matter here. It is really time we get active!

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
WelshMoe
Explorer

A week ago I purchased the KD- 43XG80305BU from John Lewis in Cardiff, still have issues with the satellite setting up and HDMI working to other devices with HDMI ... So I certainly hope I have at least a few years of SONY BACK-UP, as it's my first time of a Sony TV, always been Panasonic TV with no regrets ...  

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sony answered on reddit. It looks like they can't get Pie working fine on ATV2, an OS with primary focus on slow processors. With other words, Oreo will be the last Android TV version for ATV2, including several models from 2019 (like XG80 or AG8). Well done Sony management!

profile.country.GB.title
spannerzone

Seems remarkable this can happen but unfortunately once a manufacturer sells a TV they make no further money from that device and have no incentive to support it other than for warranty purposes. I bet if they earnt some money from data or adverts like Google does then they'd be making sure their products lasted a bit longer on the software / hardware front.

Hell, I'd even consider a sensible ongoing software subscription to Sony if it meant they'd design things to be a bit more future proof and provided ongoing support for apps for the next 5 years.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter  you are referring to yourself as an official source?!?! Where is the official statement from Sony about it?!?

And btw AG8 was released with nougat and so it got a major upgrade. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Read the thread on reddit. You will find statements from an official Sony sales manager. You are probably right. AG8 has been released with Nougat. So one major update. But that‘s it.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Please I trust you better than this. How can you imagine that sony will make a statement about their own tv roadmap by posting onto reddit?

I do not says that this could be their view but pie is not still rolled out onto the us and we are already seeing a lot of post like "oh my God it is worst than oreo they already blocked the rollout onto oled tv and I cannot even rollback" and "oh my god they don't plan to release it to my good old tv the pie version that I really wanted to have since 4 years ago!"

I would  like to have pie onto my own A1 because I love tech but I won't kill my self for it

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sorry, but that's the view of a Sony fanboy.

The media actually got the same statement from Sony, see comments in this article.

Concerning 2019 models from Sony... how on earth can you sell a TV based on a platform from 2016 and ship it with an OS (Nougat) from August 2017? Then they ship the Oreo update with a delay of 1.5 years and it is still buggy as hell due to it being hacked on a 3.10 kernel. And you still praise them and want to tell me that it isn't that bad? Security patch level is typically many months behind. People not doing USB updates are over a year behind. Come on... wake up!

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I do not want to be sony advocate but in the article there is not a statement from sony that other tv will not receive pie. 
Than it is another story if we talk about which hardware they use on which model. I see the fact that they choose the same soc for ag8 as an indication that also my old a1 will receive support for longer. But I am a fanboy.
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

MTK is just the worst of all, total offender when it comes to linux and open source.

Their HW is crap and their support is even worse than that. They are the only vendor with, what, 3 SoC models with barely any significant performance difference in 4 years. How hard it is to build all the blobs for newer kernel???

But SONY doesn't care, Philips doesn't care, google doesn't care and most of all majority of end users don't care because their SD channel looks great in vivid mode.

So..... buy and forget. Long live e-waste.