Join now - be part of our community!

Atmos via Disney+ and Catch-Up apps on XR-55A90J

profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

Atmos via Disney+ and Catch-Up apps on XR-55A90J

Can somebody at Sony please confirm when we will have access to the UK catch-up TV services?

I want a date, not some wishy washy answer.

And what is going on with the Disney+ app and the lack of Atmos?

I'm getting sick of the blame game having contacted Disney, Sony and Google.

I assumed Disney, being the vendor of the app, would be responsible and have an explanation but, they insist it is down to Sony's hardware limitations, which seems unlikely given Netflix will do Atmos. And Google are clueless.

If I don't get answers, this damn TV is going back. Utterly fed up with the poor support, generic responses, the total reliance on reality creation to ensure the picture looks good and the lack of basic features on a premium priced TV.

It is outrageous.

Are Sony represented on this forum and respond or is it community based and supported by owners please?

35 REPLIES 35
profile.country.GB.title
ksaro1

@CyberWoogy wrote:

:

:

The lack of UK catch-up TV services is down to a legal dispute between the vendors and Google. 

:

:

That's really odd. I have a Sony, same vendor as yourself, and I get all of the UK Catch-Up/Streaming services, well except STV (for Scotland, which is now bundled in Britbox for Android TV). I get BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, More 4, My5. I am using a different model than yourself.

As you note, there is not Dolby ATMOS for Disney +. I do get it on Amazon Prime and Apple TV though.

profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

Sony isn't the vendor of the apps. BBC Media Technologies is the vendor of iPlayer and ITV the ITV Hub accordingly.

With the exception of My5, there are no UK catch-up TV services available on Sony's 2021 range. Certainly not on their OLEDs at least.

profile.country.GB.title
eddieseymour

FYI I have Atmos working great on my Shield TV streaming device (Android TV) for Disney+ no issue via my Denon Amp (as well as all the catchup services,  Iplayer still older version with no UHD option,  which another TV from Samsung is working).

Not on the native Sony TV no Disney Atmos (other apps ok eg netflix).

So wait and see that there is an upgrade soon for 90j for catchup.

Piscie
Community Team

Hi,

It is confirmed that this is temporary issue that will be fixed later this year. You can still watch these apps tho by casting the content from your phone through Google Cast functionality until the issue is sorted out. It also seems that Disney+ app isn't supporting the Dolby Atmos technology, as it works with no problems with all the other apps, isn't it?

profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

@PiscieIt has been confirmed to me that the lack of UK catch-up TV apps is down to a legal dispute between Google and the vendors.

The fact Sony advertised them as being part of the eco-system on the A90J when I pre-ordered the TV, and in fact the ITV Hub is still part of the GoogleTV banner during initial set-up, is entirely misleading. These sorts of legal wrangles should've been resolved prior to making the TVs available to retail or the launch should've been delayed.

And you can't cast HLG HDR iPlayer content to any TV via and third party hardware. There's no way I'm buying more hardware to add to a TV that cost over two and half grand!!!

Had I known about the lack of iPlayer and Atmos via Disney+ on Sony TVs based on GoogleTV, I would never have purchased a Sony TV full stop.

You should NEVER buy an item such as TV on the basis something will be added at a later date, as owners of Sony's 2020 range of TVs will tell you who are still waiting for VRR to be rolled out 'as promised'.

profile.country.IE.title
JayByrne

I have recently just lost Dolby Atmos on Disney +,

I can confirm it was definitely working up until recently, whatever is going on I have no idea. If you go into detail of the movie it will show dolby atmos however no feed comes through,

profile.country.GB.title
eddieseymour

So far via Disney I not got it to work at all,  via external device I can get it work,  but had to play around with turning on/off and back on the eARC funtions.  give that a try,  disable and then re-enable.

profile.country.IE.title
JayByrne

Thanks Eddie, I don't have external device to play the apps so just using the TV led apps,

I will try to toggle the eARC functions and see if it works,

I had issues with Atmos from Netflix also just dropped off all of a sudden from one episode to the next, I seen something online to change the audio out to Auto 2 which worked however the audio feed to soundbar was really bad. I did a reset and moved it back to Auto 1 and it is working again now, 

No idea what is going on as there were no updates since i first got the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
eddieseymour

How I found the issue was to use a non eARC HDMI port,  back to my AMP,  which worked every time for Atmos then when I connected to the eARC ,  then Atmos was lost (only Disney dont ask why,  Netflix and others work).

I could basically unplug and plug back in and see it every time.  The I did the disable and reenable and it solved it.

I give your option a try myself.

profile.country.GB.title
eddieseymour

Just an update looks like the Disney + Atmos and also now see Dolby Vision from the App.

So far so good so looks like its now fixed.  Not sure if its due to an update for the TV or something backend from Disney.

We all still waiting for the Catchup stuff though!