Join now - be part of our community!

auto 2 or pcm setting ?

leea123
Explorer

auto 2 or pcm setting ?

Hi all, just got my sony tv, also a sony bluray player, have connected up and all sems to be working ok. i have the optical cable from tv to my surround sound system. The question i have is about the out put settings on the tv for the sound. I have options of auto/auto 2/pcm . If i select auto i get no output. if i select auto two or pcm i get my sound out my tv to my sound system. The question is that if i select the auto 2 option, i get the decode light come on , on my surround system, if i select pcm i dont get the decode light on  on. Should i have it on pcm with no decode light ?, or the other way round ?. Also do i need to adjust anything on my blu ray player , as the sound is set to auro and works, should i also set this to pcm output. Thank you all

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As long as it works, i dont think it really matters too much to be honest.  Auto 2 is outputting the audio for the sound system to decode (hence the lights light up on your sound system), and PCM appears that the TV is doing the audio decoding.  Thats how i understand it anyhow.

My preference is to always have the dedicated audio system to do the decoding - as thats what irs designed for and you can easily see if something is wrong when your sound system doesnt light up the correct lights

If your bluray player works, leave the settings alone.  Why tinker around when its functioning correctly?

Cheers