Join now - be part of our community!

Awful HDR quality in Netflix

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Awful HDR quality in Netflix

I have an 49XD8099 with Android 6.0.1. Simply put, to watch "The OA" from Netflix in HDR is unbearable. It's like if they added a wall of fog. Disabling the HDR the image improves considerably, still being a bit washed out. Other shows, when watched in HDR, don't look better either, so much that I decided to have a video mode with HDR off for Netflix only.

Too bad that doing so HDR gets disabled in all video modes (why? Just why?). Is it the Netflix app broken, The OA, or else? Also any chance to have only a mode with HDR disabled? Thanks.

60 REPLIES 60
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

So it is just a global setting not connected to any mode/profile. Better than nothing though. It only exists on ATV2 devices, but not on ATV1 devices...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

So it is just a global setting not connected to any mode/profile. Better than nothing though. It only exists on ATV2 devices, but not on ATV1 devices...

yes, if I change it in "Custom" for the Android apps, it changes it also in "Standard", "Cinema Home" etc at least for the same "input". Which is wrong, since it is a sub-option of each specific mode. At least they could put it in the main settings panel.

Actually I've just tested it now if it changes between inputs. I have setup the PS4's  HDMI 2 image mode "Game" with HDR OFF, and back to YouTube HDR (in Custom) is Auto. So at least that one seems to work as it must. One last test: setting the HDR OFF in Game (HDMI 2) it goes off in all HDMI 2 image modes.. So it is global to the input. Well, that's not exactly what I was looking for (not at all).

Then I am not sure what you mean when you say ATV2 devices have it, while ATV1 devices don't. Could you please elaborate?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Those are the two Sony Android TV (ATV) hardware platforms...

ATV1 is based on MediaTek MT5890 (FW 3.X):

all 2015 models, spring 2016 models (XD85, XD93, XD94)

ATV2 is based on MediaTek MT5891 (FW 6.X):

all models after summer 2016 (XD70, XD75, XD 80, XD83, ZD9 and the new XE models)

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Awww...  I thought it had something to do with DTV. Ok, it makes sense now. Thanks!

BTW @Kuschelmonschter, if you are interested this is how the HDR setting looks. It's in Italian but I suppose it is quite understandable by English people as well:

Bravia_Imp-OpzVideo.png

profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

I'm getting a static looking effect on skin or sky, with many hdr programmes on Netflix, I've tried playing with all the settings, what can be done about this, it looks rubbish. 

profile.country.GB.title
andresako
Explorer

I have an atv2 tv (KD-49XD70) and I dont have the option to turn HDR off when using netflix, is there any workaround? Picture looks terrible

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@andresako Use contrast at about 85, maybe lower the brightness to 15-20 and try pumping up the gamma to max (3). Still I am surprised the XD70 doesn't have the option, I thought it was available for all ATV2 Bravia with Android 7.0

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I have noticed that the TV Show which has best colours in HDR is Star Trek Discovery. Never a washed effect. And the lights seem somehow fine. The fact is that this one plays.. at 1080p only (due to stupid agreements with CBS, apparently)! Should the lower resolution really make a difference?? I wish the colours were always looking like that at UHD resolution.

profile.country.GB.title
andresako
Explorer

Thank you Jecht for the advice. Yes, pumping up the gamma improves the image a bit

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

According to a thread in Macrumors it seems that the issue may be caused by the fact that Netflix masters its content in Dolby Vision, to take advantage of the better features, and that may ruin the quality in HDR10 screens. It isn't the app because there are people complaing about the Netflix HDR from the Apple TV 4K.

I am not exactly sure how this thing works but, if true, it would be quite disappointing. So much for the extra price for UHD "to get better content". At least they could do a proper conversion.