Join now - be part of our community!

Awful HDR quality in Netflix

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Awful HDR quality in Netflix

I have an 49XD8099 with Android 6.0.1. Simply put, to watch "The OA" from Netflix in HDR is unbearable. It's like if they added a wall of fog. Disabling the HDR the image improves considerably, still being a bit washed out. Other shows, when watched in HDR, don't look better either, so much that I decided to have a video mode with HDR off for Netflix only.

Too bad that doing so HDR gets disabled in all video modes (why? Just why?). Is it the Netflix app broken, The OA, or else? Also any chance to have only a mode with HDR disabled? Thanks.

60 REPLIES 60
profile.country.GB.title
RedHagar
Explorer

It's a Samsung UBD-m7500. It's connected to the ARC port so it works exactly the way a Sony player would work anyway - yes, I can disable HDR on this but it makes me wonder why I spent all this money... :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

I think in that case it's just down to your personal preference :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Guy_88

I had this issue on my 7073 tv but once switching from vivid back to video hdr picture settings hdr kicked in properly. I dont think HDR kicks in properly on youtube and netflix properly but once changing the picture modes back and forth it takes full effect 

profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

I'm just using hdr on ps Pro now, but it's just over saturated, I'm trying
to reduce the red on the image but it's just not working
profile.country.GB.title
Guy_88

Kinggo01 there’s lg tvs that have been given certification for HDR and they look absolutely terrible! most mid/low LG tvs that have been HDR certified struggle to even hit 300 nits! I had the 651 2017 model and it look sooooo bad dude!. Sony and samsung seem to have the highest nits for mid/low end HDR tvs. Its always best to research on what Tv you buy because the company that certifies these Tvs are bad at their job and are probably getting paid for given the all go on LG tvs.

profile.country.GB.title
Guy_88

You’ve got to remember as well guys is that most 49inch sony XE models are IPS panels which a seriously bad for contrast as well as brightness! if you want a much better HDR viewing Either VA panels or OLED is the way to go. Most 55 inch XE models are VA. 

profile.country.GB.title
Sony75inch
Explorer

Hi. The first thing that I did when I got my Sony 75 inch was to upgrade Netflix to their HDR version. I immediately noticed that washed out picture quality. I turned off the HDR setting in my new TV thinking it would help. Nope. Netflix overrules that setting and continues to send the HDR signal to the tv and still appears washed out. It really stinks. It's because Netflix knows what it's being played on. I immediately downgraded back to regular HD plan. I also went into the playback setting on the desktop Netflix site and changed the playback to "medium" for now. Picture still looks amazing at the medium setting and HDR isn't forced upon me. I will change it back to high quality when my UHD subscription runs out on the 15th and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed to see if HDR isn't forced upon my brand new set. At first I thought for sure that I had a defective tv since I had HDR turned off for every input. I did that individually. But then I noticed it was doing it while watching a HDR show on Amazon prime, even with HDR turned off in Amazon prime as well. But then found the same show in normal HD and it looked amazing. I should have educated myself more about hdr prior to purchasing. I spent $1999.00 (Sony 75X850E) USD plus tax for this thing and I've learned a lot about HDR signals and processing. Hope this helps you.... If you guys can chip in with your thoughts that would be great.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Guy_88 wrote:

You’ve got to remember as well guys is that most 49inch sony XE models are IPS panels which a seriously bad for contrast as well as brightness! if you want a much better HDR viewing Either VA panels or OLED is the way to go. Most 55 inch XE models are VA. 

Not all the 49" panels are IPS. The 49XE9005 for example is a VA panel, hence why its got such god awful viewing angles. :slight_smile:

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I spent $1999.00 (Sony 75X850E) USD plus tax for this thing and I've learned a lot about HDR signals and processing. Hope this helps you..

That's a lot of money indeed. But you primarily payed that for the screen size. The 850E at 75" is an IPS panel (compared to the better VA on smaller sizes) according to rtings.com. So it has bad contrast with no local dimming at all. It also can't get very bright. So that TV can process HDR input, but it just can't output that in a reasonable way.

Most Netflix HDR content neither looks good on high-end TVs though.

I turned off the HDR setting in my new TV thinking it would help. Nope. Netflix overrules that setting and continues to send the HDR signal to the tv and still appears washed out.

I think that this switch indeed does not turn on/off HDR. It just changes the way HDR is being processed.

profile.country.GB.title
Guy_88

@stormyuk wrote:

@Guy_88 wrote:

Not all the 49" panels are IPS. The 49XE9005 for example is a VA panel, hence why its got such god awful viewing angles. :slight_smile:

yeah not all but most, its only really the high end XE models that are mostly VA but lower tiers are mostly IPS apart the bigger screens. I’d rather have bad viewing angles than deal with torchlight bleeding and very poor contrast!, IPS panels are absolute trash! plus I dont sit at an angle with my tv.

Every single IPS Tv I have bought have all suffered from torchlight bleed, had an LG tv replaced due to it having bleeding and the replacement was just as bad, my recent samsung tv I got was an ADS panel which I never knew at the time is just a better IPS panel and yet again the screen was a mess. The contrast was terrible. Anything none oled ect VA panels rule. old samsung had something stupid like 900 contrast ratio where as the VA version has over 5000, massive difference. most  IPS screens struggle to get over 1000 contrast ratio lol.

I’d rather have a bright picture with amazing black levels and colours that is torchlight free over better viewing angles any day of the week.