Join now - be part of our community!

Backlight bleed - BRAVIA KD49XG8096BU

profile.country.GB.title
robstopper
Explorer

Backlight bleed - BRAVIA KD49XG8096BU

Less than 3 months old, and for the last few weeks, I've been noticing some discolouration in the corners. after some research, it appears that it's suffering from backlight bleed. It's fine when the picture is full screen and bright, but when it's either widescreen or a black/dark picture, it's noticeable and distracting.

From searching on here, it doesn't seem Sony do much to acknowledge this issue, I've tried their limited recommendations and it's still there.

Before I speak to Currys (where I bought the TV from) and their undoubtedly useless and disinterested tech support people, are there any recommendations from people on here?

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Of course it depends on the quality of the source keeping also in mind that broadcast uses a reduced set of color rec 709 that causes banding. I do not remember if your tv model has the Sony "smooth gradiation" feature that could help

profile.country.GB.title
robstopper
Explorer

Its been most noticeable on Sky Atlantic watching The Outsider, very bad quality. Watching other shows on other channels last night with the same settings was fine