Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
romipat

pretty sure the shield has  an iplayer  app preinstalled. if  its not on yours you'll have to sideload it you can instal thirs part app stores on your shield like aptoid

profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

The version on Aptoid is a non Android TV version, i.e meant for mobile phones and tablets. I tried sideloading it, but it requires a mouse to operate.

Can anyone here upload their iPlayer APK? Would be fantastic

profile.country.GB.title
ajoysarkar
profile.country.GB.title
romipat

Jan  they were asking about installing the  iplayer apk on the nvidea  sheild tv device not on the  sony so  for what thry wanted my reply was correct.

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@jan.hansen957 wrote:

The version on Aptoid is a non Android TV version, i.e meant for mobile phones and tablets. I tried sideloading it, but it requires a mouse to operate.

Can anyone here upload their iPlayer APK? Would be fantastic. 

Jan get yourself a rii8  usb mouse for your shield it makes navigating a  breeze on it and then aptpoid and your sorted. trust me ivegot  2  shield's

profile.country.GB.title
stevenhenry

So what is on the Roku USB stick that makes it compatible that Sony cant seem to manage to do with their tvs?

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Decent and dedicated technical guys at Roku? Engaged managers who are committed to support products rather than dropping last years model at the first hurdle?

profile.country.GB.title
ajoysarkar

Roku 4k streaming stick £55 at Sainsburys. I think it’s unlikely Sony will sort it out by tommorrow, might be tempted to get one.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@ajoysarkar wrote:

Roku 4k streaming stick £55 at Sainsburys. I think it’s unlikely Sony will sort it out by tommorrow, might be tempted to get one.

I thought about it, but with limited slots on the stream anyway, I just don't feel like spending more money, and then just be disapointed not to get a slot. I'll slum it in HD.

I think with respect to iPlayer UHD on the 2016 and 2017 models, its looking unlikely its ever going to be sorted.

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

Is Roku definitely on the list? Virgin was TBC last I saw