Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
Therealsh

for those who are using Kodi and not getting iplayer www to work, an alternative simple way to do it is by creating a text file and change the file type to STRM (i.e. 1.STRM), edit the file and paste the following (create 5 files with a different link):

#KODIPROP:inputstreamaddon=inputstream.adaptive
#KODIPROP:inputstream.adaptive.manifest_type=mpd
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio_video/webcast/dash/uk/full/llnw/uhd_stream_01.m...

save the file in one of Kodi library locations and simply run it from the video library... 

You can choose the resolution that works for you best via video settings as mentioned earlier in this thread

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Just a quick note to say that following the instructions above, I put the latest development build of Kodi on there, configured it as described, added the iPlayer add-on and configured it, and now I can watch Live Stream 5 as a test.  Once things have calmed down, it runs at 2560x1440 pretty much stutter-free, but still stutters at full 4k.  I have a KD-49XE9005.

Many thanks for the tip!

Also, if you want to turn on the CPU usage overlay, you have to enable developer mode but then you can do it directly from the developer mode options - no need to use adb.

profile.country.GB.title
ScrattyTV

IMAG0292.jpg

Here is the information you asked for about the Roku + version of iplayer, hope this helps. 

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@ScrattyTV wrote:

IMAG0292.jpg

Here is the information you asked for about the Roku + version of iplayer, hope this helps. 

thank you, yes it  does  cheers and explains why a user ive been chatting  to is saying that the  PQ  for the iplayer WC content looks a lot better  when  he uses  his Roku + than it does  when  he uses the iplayer app on the virgin V6 box.

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

thank you yes that  really  helps and explains why a  user  who Ive been chatting to said that  the  PQ on the  bbc  iplayer WC games is far better  when he uses the iplayer app on his Roku+ than it is when watching using the iplayer app on his Virgin V6 box.

now if only Sony could  pull thier finger out and get us an iplayer app upgrade which will allow thosewith the XE 93's to view the content  directly through our tvs instead of having to use  external boxes.

profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

Does anyone know how to select which stream to play in MX player? I'd like to play 1080p or 1440p

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Also, does anyone know how to get Kodi to see the Wimbledon feeds?  It's still only showing the World Cup UHD tests.

profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

If they air Wimbledon it is on one of the five World Cup streams

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Thank you.  It's only Centre Court footage too, which is fair enough.

Now watching the England match in HDR thanks to Kodi :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Can't get onto the World Cup UHD stream tonight - it must be full.  Wimbledon works fine, but... 

By the way, Sony support have told me that there is a new firmware update imminent for our TVs.  I have a long-standing support ticket to investigate the juddering YouTube 60fps problem.  I've even recorded a slow-mo video showing the problem and they do seem to be taking a look at it.

I'll post again if I can get a date from them for the new release.