Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

Hi Luke. I’m getting the UHD streams no problem - so my bitrate is, I believe, fine. I’m just not getting HDR on the Dynasties streams. 

profile.country.GB.title
ScrattyTV

I don't understand why iplayer on the TV is showing as HDMI 3/ARC. Surely this is incorrect? The test stream looks great but something is wrong with it showing that HDMI port. It should be showing (apps) I would have thought. My PS4 is plugged into the HDMI 3/ARC port.

Get Outlook for Android
profile.country.GB.title
adamski99_uk

There seems to be a bug with detecting HDR in iplayer for the Dynasties streams and you can't manually change the HDR setting if you launch iplayer while watching TV. To view in HDR, you need to choose an unused HDMI port, manually set the picture to HDR in the settings and launch iplayer from the Discover menu. Play the Dynasties stream and you'll see Dynasties in all its HDR glory.  

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

Thanks adamski99_uk, that works a treat!

@adamski99_uk wrote:

There seems to be a bug with detecting HDR in iplayer for the Dynasties streams and you can't manually change the HDR setting if you launch iplayer while watching TV. To view in HDR, you need to choose an unused HDMI port, manually set the picture to HDR in the settings and launch iplayer from the Discover menu. Play the Dynasties stream and you'll see Dynasties in all its HDR glory.  

profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

iPlayer issues with HDR had nothing to do with bandwidth. When you have slower broadband, it will decrease the resolution. However it should display HDR correctly even in SD quality, like Amazon video or Netflix do. So it's definitely a bug. 

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@pb1965 wrote:

Thanks adamski99_uk, that works a treat!

@adamski99_uk wrote:

just want to clarify are you doing this on a xe9305?

ive selected a  freeHDMI port and when i go into the picture settings to try to  manually  set  the picture  modeas HDR  I dont see it listed in there. i only see  standard , vivid etc. im not sure what I am missing here. I am however able to  play  the dynastes contet using Iplayer and the PQ is excellentbut HDR is not diasplayed in the  picture  options

profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

Romipat, when in picture settings, you need to go down to advanced settings  >>> video options >>> HDR mode and then change that from auto to HLG. Then open up the iPlayer app. 

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

cheers, thanks for the will give that  a go tomorrow

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@pb1965 wrote:

Romipat, when in picture settings, you need to go down to advanced settings  >>> video options >>> HDR mode and then change that from auto to HLG. Then open up the iPlayer app. 

spot on PB1965  followed your instructions and dynasties4K HDR in iplayer.Glad I waited now I started this thread just before the world cup and nearly bought a Roku because Sony were so slow to support  it but looks like its finally sorted out. I wonder if they ( Sony) are aware of the workaround required to access the content in HDR ?

I'm guessing not.

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

Thanks for pointing out the HDR workaround.

On my XE9005, using an unused HDMI and then changing advanced settings, certainly changes how the screen looks ; everything has a horrible brownish tinge to it and its unwatchable. 

Choosing Dynasties from the Discover menu, doesnt seem to change anything, other than continuing the brown tinge ( I'm presuming that we still see the programme labelled in iplayer with 'UHD' and thats not going to change ?)