Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@miscofi wrote:

Thanks for pointing out the HDR workaround.

On my XE9005, using an unused HDMI and then changing advanced settings, certainly changes how the screen looks ; everything has a horrible brownish tinge to it and its unwatchable. 

Choosing Dynasties from the Discover menu, doesnt seem to change anything, other than continuing the brown tinge ( I'm presuming that we still see the programme labelled in iplayer with 'UHD' and thats not going to change ?)

your tv is supported according to the beeb website https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/dynasties-uhd.

have you installed the latest firmware as that  added the latest and compatible iplayer app?  if you are  up to date then  make  sure that you follow  the steps which  have  been mentioned  earlier in the  thread. 

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

Adamski99_uk

got a question about the workaround of manually setting  HLG on an unused HDMI port in order to get the BBC iPlayer 4k hdr content. Ive noticed that when I set that (HLG  then regardless of if ive launched the iPlayer app or not that input always then flags and says HDR  so I was wondering if that would  effect any other apps I  use for example if I view content using the you tube app will that be forcing HLG  for that app too? if so surly all the colours would be way off   for all content  via that app ?

profile.country.GB.title
adamski99_uk

Romipat,

Yes, if you've set the HLG manually then everything on that input will be processed as HDR and look odd.  I didn't think this workaround was required now that both iPlayer and Android TV had been fixed?

profile.country.GB.title
stevenhenry

Finally able to play UHD on my XD93 via my BT TV box went live today watching Wimbledon looks good

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

ah okSdamski_99 I'd left  your workaround of  of manually selecting HLG on I'll put It  back to auto and hope for the best  btw I havent updated to Oreo 8  yet either due to  issues I  had read about  with  Arc,   DTS, built-in video player app and YouTube juddering too so just to clarify when you say the workaround isnt required anymore and that  its fixed  is that only  if ive updated to Oreo? 

profile.country.GB.title
ScrattyTV

I updated to Oreo, my TV seems to be much more responsive with the newer version of Android and I haven't come across any negatives tbh.

Get Outlook for Android
profile.country.GB.title
romipat

that's good to know, my question really was forAdamski99_uk as  I have been using a workaround which he had mentioned while back in order  for my xe9305 to flag, detect and set the optimum  settings for  the bbciplayer HDR  content.  in  his last post he suggested that the workaround of setting HLG manually on a  free  hdmi port  prior to launching the  Iplayerapp wasnt required now as  the issue had been  fixed so what I wanted to know is if the fix was included as part of the Oreo rollout? If it was.Then I will go ahead an  update my tv to Oreo.

profile.country.GB.title
ScrattyTV

Yes, it would be good for Adamski99 to let you know if it has. All I can add is that I watched some of Wimbledon on my XE9305 in UHD via the built in iplayer today and it was showing HDR when I went into the picture menu, so I assumed it had been fixed. Picture looked great too!

Get Outlook for Android
profile.country.GB.title
romipat

Thanks SkrattyTV I trust you are on Oreo and if you havent  use the manual workaround then that would  suggest that it has indeed been  fixed so ill  try updating to Oreo  and reverting thr HLG setting  back to  what I think  was auto detect. Totally agree that  the BBC have done a food   job with thier  hdr  iPlayer content it does look excellent, just need them to  get the 5.1 sound working on it now, yes I want cake and to eat it too :tongue:

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

ok confirmed  the workaround is no longer required and the  iplayerapp had been updated so  plays the BBC   HDR  4K cotent  fine and the xe93detects it as HDR and  automatically  sets the optimum  settings for the cotent