Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

If I were the Sony UK CEO, I would be deeply embarrassed to see the twaddlw being regurgitated by some of his Sony Support staff. Having no response is bad enough, but patently false information being regurgitated to customers is even worse. Where do they get these experts from, lol?

profile.country.GB.title
ajoysarkar

Got this reply about lack of support fit the A1 oled

Thank you for your patience.

In reference to enquiry regarding your Sony KD-55A1, we appreciate your kind patience as Sony is checking at the moment the availability of the World Cup Streaming on BBC iPlayer. We are aware that the model number is not mentioned, hence, we will be checking from our end.

We recommend bookmarking the support page of your TV, as it will contain all the updates:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-oled-tvs-android-/kd-55a1

For registration purposes, please reply with the 7 digits serial number:

https://www.sony.co.uk/find-the-model

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Nadine

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

I just used the support form on the Sony website
profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

going through the support page on here 

http://services.sony.co.uk/supportmvc/en/Contact/Email?cat=televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-&c...

fill out a few things and then wait. you need you're serial number to send one through as well. 

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

Just had a holding e-mail from Sony:

In regards to your Sony KD-49XE9005, we seek your kind patience as the case is still under investigation and we will be sharing the update with you as soon as possible.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

No more 48 hour promise. :yahoo:

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

well litrally 3 mins after the 2 day waiting period ended i got a responce which im guessing was a automated email with the timing. anyways here the punch line. 

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

In regards to your Sony KD-65XD9305, we are sorry to inform you that your TV model will not be supporting the World cup on BBC iPlayer in 4K, however, you can enjoy it in full HD.

We apologise for any unintended inconvenience this matter might have caused.

Yours sincerely,  

Jasmine 

now sony you idiots. and i do hope someone at sony reads this just to show how inept you guys really are now. i NEVER asked if i would be able to watch the world cup but my actually question was would i ever be able to watch the bbc iplayers 4k hdr stream!!!!! but nooooooooooooo rather than answer that i get a canned responce to a question i never asked. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yeh I heard similar rumours yesterday they were going to announce no support for the some models. Does that mean we will now never get UHD iPlayer on the these models?

Whats interesting in your case, is that the XD8305 is supported, thats an Android TV too from 2016 isn't it? Why no XD9305? That's really odd. I thought it was just us 2017 owners.

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

what is more bizzare is a bush set from 2016 is supported. how the hell did that happen !? 

and yeah thats what i was asking i just want to know is there any point hanging on to this thing if it will never get the hgl hdr support. 

and after i posted this morning i have replied to them asking my original question again and iv also emailed this guy Jim Ryan (President & CEO (Europe)) on  jim_ryan@scee.net also included the url for this thread so he can see how much the customer service team really dont do over this matter. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@BigUglyGac wrote:

what is more bizzare is a bush set from 2016 is supported. how the hell did that happen !? 

and yeah thats what i was asking i just want to know is there any point hanging on to this thing if it will never get the hgl hdr support. 

and after i posted this morning i have replied to them asking my original question again and iv also emailed this guy Jim Ryan (President & CEO (Europe)) on  jim_ryan@scee.net also included the url for this thread so he can see how much the customer service team really dont do over this matter. 

Well Bush, I guess its a totally different TV, comparing the XD8305 and the XD9305 they are very similar, and the XD9305 is an enhanced version of the XD8305, so whats going on there? It makes zero sense, in the 2017 land we have the XE7000s supported but they are not Android TVs so there is a tangible reason. For the 2016 TVs it just makes no sense.....