Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

@copicke45 I spot a fellow software developer here? :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

@rgledhill wrote:

@copicke45 I spot a fellow software developer here? :slight_smile:

Close - I'm a Systems Engineer who has to try & keep Software Developers on the straight & narrow :laughing:

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Same here - rogue bunch, aren't they :slight_smile:  Shout if you need a job, we're recruiting hard in Warwick for embedded systems engineers with experience!

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

@rgledhill wrote:

My money is that the XE93 having the same top-end processing engine as the XE9005 which has a bug in either the  X1 silicon or the software drivesr for it.  Lesser, and greater, models presumably don't have this bug, as they don't use this specific hardware graphics accelerator, and they simply haven't had time to work with Sony to fix it in time.

I also have a sneaking suspicion it's related to YouTube failing to do 50/60fps; I know the BBC iPlayer 4k streaming test of football was 50fps and it broke after a bit.  I think something chews up all the CPU time and it runs out of steam - which is ludicrous in a chipset of this power.

Possible - the set would have been originally designed & tested to work with linear streaming for major apps like Youtube. This MPEG-DASH transport is only working by virtue of the BBC iPlayer app. And the processing engine isn't digesting well the ouput it's getting from the app.

During the short trial when it did work I had thought the failure was consistently within 30 seconds of starting the stream. But on the last day it was available I did manage to get it to continue for 20 minutes or so before it failed. I have no idea what was different on that occassion, except that I was outside the room not watching it for most of that time.

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Interesting.  It does sound like it's a throughput/buffering problem internally.  Very frustrating!

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

@rgledhill wrote:

Same here - rogue bunch, aren't they :slight_smile:  Shout if you need a job, we're recruiting hard in Warwick for embedded systems engineers with experience!

Thanks for the offer - unfortunately embedded isn't my area of experience, and Warwick isn't my area. Funilly enough though I did once work at Wireless House, Warwick Technology Park......:zipper_mouth:

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

The iPlayer version number seems to change almost daily on my TV but I am not convinced that anything is actually changing in the player apart from the date and version number.

4.6.119.1 now. (June 8th)

profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

Yea thats the version mine is as well I have 930e I thought the 900 didn't have the extreme processor that's why no Dolby bison on that model?

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Not really sure what Dolby Vision or Extreme processor got to do with iPlayer support though? I would hope nothing. :slight_smile:

It might be a common version across the Sony range but whitlisted by the BBC by model number as to which TV will work with the WC.

profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

People have mentioned earlier it's an issue with processor and iplayer but
just stating there are various processors and still the same issue not
suggesting Dolby bison has any thing to do with it just used that as an
example