Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Ahhh ok. But the he A1 isnt supported and thats top end, or the XE9305 and that has X1E too. I dont think its anything to do with the processor personally. The supported XE7000, what does that have processor wise? XF80 is also supported and thats Android with no X1E.

profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

Yeah I'm agreeing with you I just read in the forum people saying it's an
issue with the extreme processor and bottlenecking with the 50 frames a
second but there are various processors not on the list so it can't be that
profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

another day another responce from good ole sony customer support. 

Thank you for your recent email.

Responding to your email, please be advised that it depends on BBC iPlayer and for the supported models.

We apologise for any unintended inconvenience this matter might have caused.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Jasmine

so now its nothing to do with sony but the bbc's fault and i guess when we get fireware updates that state the iplayer hlg hdr is supported thats nothing to do with it. honestly these people are clueless. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yeh I guess the line in the firmware update....

• Introduces support for BBC iPlayer HLG HDR format (UK only)

...was just a mistake then? Seriously this is beyond rediculous, :slight_smile: Sony twitter suport have just stopped responding about it too. I guess they will just wait till the WC is over and perhaps more so if the update clearly doesn't work.

I guess its all about the 2018 models now for a few months before the 2019 models get released. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

yes  i saw this too but not sure if my 65 XE9305 will be suorted as its not on the list of supported tv's.Really suprised as  it supports  hdr10  and dolby vision now so surly it should be   able to   work with the bbc iplayer 4k hdr HLG  world cup streams ??? Will be   really peed off it it doesnt

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

the screwy thing is the xd9305 supports hlg via hdmi but not streaming hence iv asked the support idiot 3 times now will it ever support it. something they seem unable or unwilling to say one way or another. hence im getting rather annoyed with it all. 

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

so just had another email and confirmed that its down to the iplayer which sets support 4k NOT SONY. 

Thank you for your recent email.

Responding to your email, please be advised that your Sony KD-65XD9305 do supports 4K with no need of a software release, however for BBC iPlayer, they decide which models support their programmes in 4K.

We apologise for any unintended inconvenience this matter might have caused yourself.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Jasmine

so any sony reps, community helpers or the like fancy chiming in explaining ***** is going on ????

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

I think at this point you are just getting stock answers back, interestingly as I mentioned the twitter support has not said anything for days. So assume its not happening, not suprised.

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

honestly given up on sony now for my next tv unless its truely something mind blowing. seems customer service or even a coherent develpoment plan isnt even in place. 

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

totally peed off  with this [edited by moderator to remove profanity].  So  as it stands we finally   have 4k content available  from our national broadcaster but our Sony's  won't beable  to acess it  SORT IT OUT SONY!!! Work  with the BBC to resolve this, wish id gone for a Samsung now which was also on my shortlist.