Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer Blue Planet 2 uhd hdr

profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

BBC iPlayer Blue Planet 2 uhd hdr

10th December this will be available on uhd and hdr on Sony 2017 models. 

Did anyone hear of a plan to introduce the  BBC hdr to older Sony models? I believe they are using a different type of hdr than currently installed on the 2015 /2016 models. 

82 REPLIES 82
profile.country.GB.title
macarte92

ARM to submit patches to the Linux Kernel and Google to make them available in the monthly security update.
profile.country.GB.title
hijinx

and then for sony to adopt the patch and make it available as a FW update :slight_smile:

Trevorian
New

I have a Sony KDL 65 ZD9 (supposedly flagship TV) with the latest update (PKG6.2671.0070EUA) released 25/10/17  supporting 4K UHD HDR Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG).

This TV has the required software to deal with the BBC iPlayer dowload/stream of Blue Planet 2 in 4K HDR - but won't receive it.

After speaking with the Sony dealer, I am told that it is not the TV but the BBC who have not updated the iPlayer app on the TV. Some say it is because the TV operates on an android platform. Some say it is down to Google/Android to update the iPlayer app.

The BBC just say that it is not supported on this model of TV.

Even the latest flagship TV (Sony A1) won't receive this.

Everyone seems to blame everyone else.

Is this a Sony issue, a BBC issue or an android issue?

Surely, Sony should be working with the BBC, Andoid etc to ensure that it's newer TVs work with this.

One of the reasons for choosing Sony is that they are supposed to be at the leading edge of technology and should therefore have this issue in hand.

After spending around £3.5K on an up to date flagship TV, I am obviously disappointed that although my TV has the HLG software, it will still not work.

Could either SONY, the BBC or Android/Google offer a credible explanation to this? 

Are there any plans to ensure that the Sony TVs with the HLG software will work with the BBC iPlayer in 4K UHD HDR? 

Come on Sony - let's get this sorted - quickly.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Looks like we have missed out again, can't see it getting sorted now in time for when Blue Planet is removed.

Someone else suggested that the page which originally said Sony were looking into supporting 4K iPlayer had been removed from the support website.

Who knows what the truth is about ever getting support. I assume the new Sony range of TVs will be announced soon. So assume even less support for the older models.

I regret buying an Android TV To be honest. 

profile.country.GB.title
ltb1986
Explorer

The lack of clarity from Sony is just woeful:
https://twitter.com/ExtraRelish/status/945964991567552512

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

So now we have missed both trials of the 4K HLG BBC iPlayer? Whats the bets its sorted for the next one?

I am not confident personally.

profile.country.GB.title
lotkas
Explorer

Finally it’s here. They released the latest firmware supporting bbc hlg

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00015010?XID=M%3ASupport_by_Sony_Application

Enjoy

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

There is no content available for this now right? :rofl:

profile.country.GB.title
lotkas
Explorer

I am currently out of the country so unable to check. It would be nice to see some materials still available

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

I've had no firmware download? Will this happen automatically?