Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer missing since Android TV v8 update

psellwood
New

BBC iPlayer missing since Android TV v8 update

I recently upgraded my Sony KD-49XD8305 to Android TV v8 and, whilst everything else continues to work, BBC iPlayer has disappeared and is no longer visible in the App Store.

I can’t find anything else online mentioning this issue and can only think that iPlayer hasn’t been updated to work with the latest OS yet.

Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone have a fix or workaround?

43 REPLIES 43
profile.country.GB.title
joporte87
Explorer

Its actually called Live TV now - not YouView.

Assuming I have it disabled I go to settings./apps/all apps... then scroll down to /disabled apps - then I highlight Live TV and press it to turn it to enabled. Your menu system may be different. I'm happy to take pics when I have time.

profile.country.GB.title
MrJoBangles

All the players are in the Sony Select Featured bar on my Home Screen.

BBC iPlayer regularly fails to open though - I have to restart the TV (press and hold on/off button on the telly for 10-15 secs) to get iPlayer to launch in the rebooted telly.

profile.country.GB.title
joporte87
Explorer

I wish I had an answer - I don't. Sorry.

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

As an alternative you could sideload the catch up apps that Hoshsadiq has on github. They can then be added to apps and home. Worked great on my XF.  You will then have 2 versions of the catch up apps on your TV. The ones in Sony Select, and the ones you sideloaded that work more like all the other regular apps from the Play store.  Note you still have to accept Sony and youview terms and conditions for ITV and All4 to work properly (I think it's only those 2), but you don't have to have youview turned on

I also had this issue, but found a fix.

Sony select is the answer, but you need to make sure you have the latest app list on Sony select. To do this you need to clear the caches on the app.

On your home screen on the tv, go to settings, then Sony select. Then clear the two cache options and close the app.

When you open Sony select again, you’ll have iPlayer, itv, all4 etc etc. 

It worked for me, hope it works for you! 🙂

StChit
Explorer

Yep; mine’s the same 😞 

No iPlayer; no ITVhub either

Both the apps say that “Your device isn’t compatible with this version”

But My5 appears to download successfully… next on the list is More4

StChit
Explorer

Thanks for the solution :slight_smile:

unbelievable that the updates removes this default view and then the Google Play store doesn’t give any hint as to where they are to be found

profile.country.GB.title
Dalegilbert
Explorer

all I get is “Top Featured” under Sony Select.  Is there another step?

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Dalegilbert, many useres reported that the issue was related to BBC and it's resolved.

profile.country.GB.title
Dalegilbert
Explorer

Odd. I still can’t find the catch up tv apps for bbc iplayer, itv hub and channel 4.  If someone can tell me where to look I’d be delighted.  It’s a KD43X81J.