Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer with you view disabled

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

BBC iPlayer with you view disabled

Hi all

I have disabled you view as I want to utilise satellite channels. I understand BBC iPlayer will work without you view enabled. How do I access iPlayer on the xe9005?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Spoiler

Yes, you still get the BBC and Channel 5 catch-up apps. They should be among your apps, and accessible from the Home screen - look there.

NB: I won’t be posting on here any more, unless the mods get the logon fixed. My login is not surviving from day to day, and each new login requires me to fart about with endless pictures. To get on this morning took me no less than forty seven finger taps. I kid you not.

Ludicrous. Is this happening to everyone, or just me?

And if just me, why me?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

If it's not shown in Home as for some reason depending on your configuration on the XE9005. Try using the 'Discovery' button and look in the Apps there.

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

Do you have to access BBC and then press red button to get to iPlayer? Is there no stand alone app? If there is I can't find it.

DD4748
Explorer

I was told by a Sony rep in John Lewis that Sony have no intention of making all the catchup apps available unless Youview is used. Like you, I prefer to use the satellite tuner but then can't use ITVhub & All4. Use Youview and the satellite tuner is disabled. Not good for a premium TV costing what it did!

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@DD4748 wrote:

I was told by a Sony rep in John Lewis that Sony have no intention of making all the catchup apps available unless Youview is used. Like you, I prefer to use the satellite tuner but then can't use ITVhub & All4. Use Youview and the satellite tuner is disabled. Not good for a premium TV costing what it did!

With the latest update I was able to use Youview on the DVB tuner and still have access to the satellite tuner, although to be honest I tried Youview for a few weeks but it just slows the TV down so much that its not worth it, so I reverted to the standard tuner.

profile.country.GB.title
rod_hull

The apk spoken of here: [link removed]

...once sideloaded/installed places icons for ALL of the major UK catch-up services on Sony ATVs on the homescreen - you DO NOT need to enable YouView if you use this...

It works a treat for me on my XD9305...

profile.country.GB.title
rod_hull

Oh good - someone unhelpfully removed the link.

The app I discussed simply places icons for the in-built apps onto the homescreen so that you can actually use them without having to enable the hobbled YouView "feature".

I'm sure a lot of people don't want/need the in-built tuner or clunky YouView experience yet might still want to use the TV's in-built apps to access the full array of catch-up services they should be entitled to...

I'm not sure why a reddit thread containing this v. useful information to work round ridiculous restrictions Sony have put on these ATVs (which incidentally we have paid multiple £1000s for in many cases) is not allowed to be linked to?

Sony have proven themselves to offer little to no post-sales software support in respect to fixing a lot of the ATV1 platform bugs - many (like this one) are certainly not edge cases - at least the dev. community can help to get on with things seeing as Android TV is a relatively open platform at the end of the day...

Unfortunately, I doubt we'll ever see results from Sony to improve some of the more serious bugs (like the inconsistent 3D performance or purple fringing issues on the 65XD9305).

Anyway, that aside, if you search github for the developer "hoshsadiq" and go to his "bravia-youview-player-launchers" repo all will become clear...

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

That's a great find, the biggest boost to OS performance on these TVs is disabling Youview. That App works a treat.

profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

Is that the Android TV version apk? Please do post it here or send it to me. I moved to the Uk and dont have freeview, thus no iPlayer, only Uk play store