Join now - be part of our community!

Brand new Sony TVs - SCRATCHES to screen and / or bezels - Bad quality control

profile.country.GB.title
jezzafisher
Explorer

Brand new Sony TVs - SCRATCHES to screen and / or bezels - Bad quality control

Hi All

I'd like to highlight the fact that TVs (in my case, XH90 / X900H) are leaving the factory damaged, with evidence of said damage being deceiptfully hidden then boxed up. 

Sony do not protect the plastic screen itself before placing in a large plastic bag, so I suspect damage is being caused by those packaging the TVs.

1st TV - Covered up by the protective plastic (yes, hidden under the tape and boxed up) - horizontal 1.5 inch deep scratch to the metallic paint bottom front bezel, location - middle left (photo attached). Also dead pixel. I decided to return for a replacement

2nd TV a few months later - horizonal scratches to the panel itself, in multiple places, but most prominent and deep near the top, centre. Frustratingly / positive note, no dead pixels and much better uniformity.

I'm debating whether to risk a 3rd!  In case you're wondering, no, I did not cause this damage myself.

Check your TVs everyone. 

Cheers J

IMG20201217105219.jpgIMG20200919103624.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@jezzafisher 

Who is supplying you with these B grade items?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
jezzafisher
Explorer

Via Richer Sounds, they're brand new stock, but I get what you are saying.

The scratches only became apparent in the daylight, sun shining on the screen etc... There are likely lots of others out there who won't have noticed theirs.

RS offering another swap (but you can imagine how disrupting boxing and unboxing 65" TVs are let alone all the days of your life wasted messing about swapping them), and yes I call them instantly.  I even filmed me removing the tape from the bezels on TV 2, no scratches to them this time, just the screen, the important bit.  What I would hope they would / could do, is contact Sony, who you would hope, would care about this.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi @jezzafisher it seems PD to me, if you received like this you should contact the point of sales.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@HannahEd01 

PD? Did you perhaps mean PDC, or what?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

I'm sorry, meant Physical Damage.

profile.country.GB.title
jezzafisher
Explorer

Yes it's physical damage, that came straight from Sony brand new, and twice in a row.  So statistically speaking I won't be the only one. 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey, sorry to hear this. If this was out of the box that's the retailer's issue.

profile.country.GB.title
Happyrobot

Hannah, the OP is trying to make Sony aware that there appears to be an issue with how they are packaged by Sony. 

How is it that a brand new item can have damage to the screen when it is brand new? Retailers do not open them up, take the protective film off, scratch them and then replace with Sony packaging. 

profile.country.GB.title
jezzafisher
Explorer

Exactly that Happyrobot

I wasn't looking for a retailer blame game, just stating facts, to help everyone be a little more observant in what they are receiving, via whichever retailer...

2 in a row, both with scratches, both with dead pixels. It's possible that it's just me, but if you think about it, it's more likely that I'm not alone here. Have a close look at your panels.