Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia 4K need help changing remotes

profile.country.GB.title
Buzzz1970
New

Bravia 4K need help changing remotes

HI

I have a Sony Bravia 4K which was linked with my Sky account and used the sky remote. I’ve now cancelled sky and gone back to using just the smart tv. How do I change remotes as I can’t search or use catch up tv through the sky remote (as I no longer have the service), so need to switch back to my sony remote?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Buzzz1970 

As far as I know, you have just taught the Sky remote to work the TV, and not changed anything within the TV.

Possibly not even changed the Sky remote at all, just set something up on the Sky box that translates the codes, or sends them by Bravia Sync.

If it’s the former, then the Sky remote, if you still have it, should still work the TV, even without the Sky box involved.

If the latter, then the Sky remote would stop working as it used to.

Have you actually tried it now, or just assumed that it won’t work any more?

But either way, I don’t see how any of this could stop the Sony remote working anyway,

What happens when you simply try to use the Sony remote once more? Have you tried that?

And if it has stopped working, does it just need new batteries, as it’s been left for a while?

A good dodge with remotes is to look at the business end of them through your smartphone camera, while pressing buttons on the remote. This makes the IR visible, so you can easily see if the remote is actually sending anything or not.

Please try all of the above, and let us know what results you get!

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Buzzz1970
New

Hi, thanks for the response. I understand what your saying, but it's not that... not sure how to explain...

The sky remote does still work, in that I see sky menu as as always have ehich givesme access to the range of channels, but I can't catch up, search for a program or pause a programme, as I used to be able to do as I don't have this functionality through sky anymore, hence wanting to switch remotes... the Sony remote does work, maybe what I'm not sure about is how I do all of the above but through the Sony remote, if that makes sense? 

profile.country.GB.title
Buzzz1970
New

Also, had I set the tv up without the sky box (I haven't removed this yet) what would I see as to channel selection and how would I have access the range of tv channels? It's a smart t.v. but I can use an aerial for freeview. Sorry I've always had sky so not sure what to expect. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Buzzz1970 

Humour me, as I haven’t had a Sky box for years. But I am assuming this is an older Sky box that predates the Q boxes that Sky want back? And so it’s yours, and you get to keep it?

And it is still working, but not like it did before?

Sky had this thing called ‘Sky Freesat’ (not to be confused with regular Freesat), whereby you could have a Sky box and a dish, but not subscribe to Sky, and get all the free channels, but none of the paid ones.

It sounds like maybe your Sky box has dropped to this, and Sky have additionally turned off the recording capabilities, which beside stopping recording, also stops the pause and rewind features since these rely on recording.

Does that seem correct?

To start using YouView/Freeview on the TV, best first to unplug the Sky box from the mains. Not for any technical reasons; just to make absolutely sure that it isn’t sticking its oar in.

Then plug the terrestrial aerial into the TV, if you haven’t already, and tune it in.

It should look, and work, pretty much like the Sky box is doing at present; the channel numbers may be different, there may be channels on the Sky box that don’t appear on Freeview, and vice versa.

Once it’s all set up, you can put the Sky box back on; if I understand things correctly, you then have the choice of YouView/Freeview, or ‘Sky Freesat’, whichever you prefer.

Anyway, give this all a go, and then report back, and we’ll go from there,

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Buzzz1970
New

Hi, so sorry for the delay in coming back to you. Yes I have it sorted... embarrassingly enough it was user error (IT Luddite here...) and all I needed to do was as you described, unplug the sky box, get an aerial cable and off I go. Sorry, I hadn’t actually done this before myself! :slight_smile: