Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KD-49X8305C screen keeps going black and trying to restart

profile.country.GB.title
spiderrog
Explorer

Bravia KD-49X8305C screen keeps going black and trying to restart

I have this Bravia KD-49X8305C since 2016 and so I think it should still be working ok. However of late the screen keeps dropping out to a black screen and complete loss of picture. It struggles to come back which sometimes it does only to drop off again a few minutes later. A visit to my Sony man in John Lewis Southampton came up with the suggestion that I had to hold in the power button for a while to force the tv to power off and once this is done the whirly Android circles start up and I presume this reboots the tv. OK this is a possible solution but it sometimes just drops back to a black screen shortly afterwards again leaving me to think that the reboot didn't resolve the problem. Has anyone got any suggestions please, reboot my router i suppose but I am not having any interenet issues elsewhere in the house. The internet connection to the Bravia is by way of a Virgin Media superhub connected through powerline sockets upstaits to the downstairs socket for the TV. As it is now just over two years old I suppose I could replace it but the Sony man didn't think this neccesary just yet but this drop off in the product makes me wonder. I have always liked the Sony products but there doesn't seem to be any value in loyalty these days and I am beginning to think about changeing manufacturer but before I make the leap can anyone come up with a reason for this problem please and how if at all, it can be fixed. I do have a video recording on my phone of this most recent failure should any Sony technician wish to take a look and investigate the problem. - feel free to call me and discuss if you wish - cheers all ROGER WEBB

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Have you tried a factory reset?

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@spiderrog

What you tried was a Power Cycle.

It is described here in a page about Soft Reset, which is done from the remote.

At the bottom, that page also has a link to Factory Reset, which is what @Anonymous suggests, and I concur.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
spiderrog
Explorer

Thank you for your reply, I recall that I was recommended to try this "fix" before and remember that it did take out a lot of stuff that I had obviously added over time and was consequently a bit of a ***** to reload it all, but I will go for it shortly, just got to set asidea half day to do it I suppose, so thanks very much for your suggestion. As the saying goes....I'll be back...!!

Roger

profile.country.GB.title
spiderrog
Explorer

Thanks for this Roy, I shall give it a go and see if it hopefully stands up to it.

However as with everything, it is only as good as it's weakest link. I have a setup using a VirginMedia box, Sonos Beam speaker connected via powerline adaptors to my computer upstairs which is connected to a Virgin Media superhub. I sometimes feel that any one or more of these components maybe contributing to the problem. Could it be that the powerline adaptors get too hot and should be unplugged to give the a rest for a while occasionally, or should I just reset my router each week as a protocol. It's trial and error but maybe you are a bit more techy than me and have a view on such questions.

Thanks very much for your reply though, much apreciated - Roger

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Hi @spiderrog

I don’t understand your setup. A Virgin Superhub router connected by Powerline Adaptors to a Virgin Media box, connected in turn via HDMI (not the ARC HDMI) to your TV; and a Sonos Beam speaker run off the TV ARC HDMI port, yes; but why are you apparently going through a computer?

Though unless your computer has twin Ethernet cards, I don’t see how you could run like that anyway, so I suspect you don’t, and haven’t described what you have accurately.

Where is the Superhub, upstairs or down?

Assuming it is upstairs, then having one Ethernet cable off the router to the computer, and another Ethernet cable off the router to an upstairs PLA, which then emerges downstairs on the other PLA, from which an Ethernet cable links to the Virgin Media box, which links by HDMI to the TV - that would make sense.

So the computer isn’t really in the loop, and nor should it be. Unless you want to pass content from the computer to the TV as well, though that should be a separate issue....

So can you please describe exactly how it is all connected?

And I’ve run two pairs of PLAs set-and-forget for over a year without them overheating or giving issues, so you should be able to run one pair that way, as long as neither is in an enclosed space with no airflow.

But to greatly simplify where the problem might be; does a previously made recording played from the Virgin Media box give this blacking out?

If so, you have eliminated the rest of the kit, which is not concerned in such a test, and isolated it to either the Virgin Media box, or the TV, or the HDMI cable connecting them.

Unless, that is, if the blacking out with the recording is always in exactly the same places - i.e. the blacking out is actually on the recording - which will absolve the TV, but point to an issue with the Media box or the stuff upstream of it.

But if there is no blacking out in this ‘play recording’ situation, then the issue is coming from upstream of the Virgin Media box, which probably absolves both it and the TV. (‘Probably’ because there could still be obscure interactions, but let’s not go there unless we have to).

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
spiderrog
Explorer

Thanks for giving me your time on this Roy, Here are my responses to your queries which I hope I have interpreted correctly. I think the next stage now is to go for the full factory reset and see where this take me.

"

I don’t understand your setup. A Virgin Superhub router connected by Powerline Adaptors to a Virgin Media box, connected in turn via HDMI (not the ARC HDMI) to your TV; and a Sonos Beam speaker run off the TV ARC HDMI port, yes; but why are you apparently going through a computer? No I am not, apologies if I am misleading you, the only time the computer comes into play is when I need to access it for my Plex Media server

Though unless your computer has twin Ethernet cards, I don’t see how you could run like that anyway, so I suspect you don’t, and haven’t described what you have accurately.

Where is the Superhub, upstairs or down? The Superhub is upstairs

Assuming it is upstairs, then having one Ethernet cable off the router to the computer, and another Ethernet cable off the router to an upstairs PLA, which then emerges downstairs on the other PLA, from which an Ethernet cable links to the Virgin Media box, which links by HDMI to the TV - that would make sense. That is what I have

So the computer isn’t really in the loop, and nor should it be. Unless you want to pass content from the computer to the TV as well, though that should be a separate issue....As I said it is used to serve the video content saved on the computer via Plex

So can you please describe exactly how it is all connected? Hopefully my confirmation of your assumptions above answers this question

And I’ve run two pairs of PLAs set-and-forget for over a year without them overheating or giving issues, so you should be able to run one pair that way, as long as neither is in an enclosed space with no airflow.They are both conventionally plugged into wall sockets with adequate airflow around them

But to greatly simplify where the problem might be; does a previously made recording played from the Virgin Media box give this blacking out? Mmm good question, I will check it out but I don’t think so

If so, you have eliminated the rest of the kit, which is not concerned in such a test, and isolated it to either the Virgin Media box, or the TV, or the HDMI cable connecting them. I am fairly certain it is nothing to do with recorded playbacks

Unless, that is, if the blacking out with the recording is always in exactly the same places - i.e. the blacking out is actually on the recording - which will absolve the TV, but point to an issue with the Media box or the stuff upstream of it.I understand

profile.country.GB.title
spiderrog
Explorer

Friday 17th August

It has been about a week now and whilst my TV is not on more than 6 or 7 hours a day, there has been no repeat of the black screen problem at all. I thought I would hold off doing the full Factory Reset thing just to see if it settles down and I am please to say that it appears to be just that and no problems at all since.

This makes me rather suspicious that there are Android updates going on in the background unbeknown to me as the user which is the reason why it kept falling over. Maybe I can turn off automatic updates and just do them manually every now and then, but I am not sure if Sony gives me that option. We shall see.

naimad007
New

All of the solutions described on this chat DO NOT work as a permanent solution. My Bravia KD-49X7000f is 5 months old - I've done the soft reset, hard rests/factory resets (NB you lose all your apps and customisation doing the factory reset) nothing solves the issue.

So frustrating, and simply ZERO real support.

Just posting this to save people the hassle following the other recomendations

profile.country.SE.title
vispen74

I have the same error started a week ago. The TV goes black for a second and starts again. It makes it quite hard to watch TV or even vorse - gaming. 

It does it even on home screen with all connectioms detached except for power, so it has nothing to do with surrounding equipment. 

I will try a factory reset as the last thing before this 65" XD9505 are going to the trash.