Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KD55XD8005 no longer outputting surround sound after reset

profile.country.GB.title
VivaLaJam26
Explorer

Bravia KD55XD8005 no longer outputting surround sound after reset

So I've had this TV for just over a year, it's been great and really enjoyed using it for gaming and streaming. 

After the first initial year though, I noticed it started getting very sluggish and slow. I had also accidentally dabbled with the audio settings a month ago and they didn't sound as crisp as they used to (generally sounding a lot quieter than normal) so I decided to reset the TV and set it up again, easy right? Well...

So my HDMI set up is as follows:

HDMI 1: Xbox One

HDMI 2: PS4

HDMI 3: Switch

HDMI 4 & Optical Out: Panasonic SA-PT170 home Theater System

Now this was all working great, and to be fair 3 of the 4 do work as intended. However, for the life of me, and I don't know why, the TV is outputting the sound at "stereo 1080p" rather then surround sound like it used to before I reset. On all HDMI channels it was outputting a surround sound dream to the ears, now it defaults to "Stereo 1080p", Occasionally on the PS4 it will say “Dolby digital” or “DTS Surround” but the latter generates no audio at all.

I’m honestly at my wits end here. It was working absolutely fine before I reset and now it’s just awful.

It’s not a fault with the Panasonic, it is old, but it worked with the TV beforehand, and I’ve hooked it up to both the Xbox & PS4 and both are outputting Surround sound. It’s just through the TV it now isn’t.

I’ve found this thread with a similar issue, however I've tried the suggested fix and it doesn't seem to work.

Help me Sony-wan, you're my only hope...

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi VivaLaJam26,

That sounds interesting. As far as I know, the surround sound option should be available within the sound settings on your TV. Have you tried to enable it? You can follow these steps (HOME - Settings - Sound - Sound adjustments - surround mode)

You can also check if your TV runs the latest software version here: https://bit.ly/2FiIZgU

Regards,

Asmaa

profile.country.GB.title
VivaLaJam26
Explorer

Thanks for getting back to me.

so I've had some improvements but not many.

on the surround option (sound>sound>surround) it is set to auto, and also greyed out. Every time I click on it it says "adjustments only available when sound is output from TV speaker".

i believe it's on the latest update, it auto updated when I reset it and there doesn't seem to be any new ones available. 

Whats also odd is that the Kinect on the Xbox doesn't seem to be working all the time with the TVs. When changing volume, the Kinect will detect it, however the audio on the system doesn't change. Some times it does, but most of the time when it detects the command it does nothing. 

profile.country.GB.title
VivaLaJam26
Explorer

Sorry for delayed response, thought I would try resolving this at some point. 

Audio is still weird, for example, the PS4 will play some blu-rays in surround sound, and some it won’t (like the Star Wars movies). Yet the Xbox will play certain blu-rays with SS, and some not. 

The switch doesn't do any surround sound at all, and seems to cut audio when playing. I can be scrolling through the menu, and there will be no audio until a couple of seconds. It’s not delayed, just cut off