Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia TV refresh rate anno 2017 worse than 2012??

profile.country.DK.title
CapKet
Explorer

Bravia TV refresh rate anno 2017 worse than 2012??

Dear Community,

My beloved 40HX755 died on me (well I got 2 thin horizontal black lines on the panel and apparently it was the panel and not the T-con that was broken - I couldn't live with the lines showing up on every source TV, HDMI, pictures etc. - 3 years out of warranty and a new panel was $1200 on eBay 🙂  ....). Got a new 43XE8005 (4K HDR) on sale for $820!

To my big surprise I find the picture worse than on my (broken) 5 year old 40HX755. After making a custom profile (the color was to powerful og TV looked very unnatural on Standard setting) I find the picture much better.

However, I still find the Motion handling better on my old 40HX755 - it had 200 Hz native! and Motionflow 400 Hz - the new 43XE8005 (X800E in the US) has 50 Hz native and Motionflow 200 Hz! How can a 2017 TV have a worse panel than a 2012 model? Am I right that the 40HX755 was a much better panel motionwise than the 43XE8005?

Also I loved the Media player on the Bravia 2012 model. It played my Sony A6000 .jpg's and video .mpg from my NAS DLNA server (HD connected directly to my ASUS router with miniDLNA server builtin).

The 2017 Android TV plays the videos and pictures nicely but the apps (Video and Album) are crap! The 2012 model could sort my holiday pictures in date order and play the pictures with music. The new Android apps can only play pictures and video alphabetically making the apps useless for me and all my pictures are a mix from different camera so they are named differently and must be sorted in date order. I found a temporary solution with KODI with can sort in date order but the videos and pictures look worse than in the "native" Sony Video/Album apps and the browsing is sluggish in KODI.

Why can't they port the old Bravia (Linux? - it actually looks the same on the XE70 model) media player to the XE80/XE90 Android TV models or improve the Video/Album apps to sort in date order and play Slideshows with music and a choice of playback speed and slideshow transitions?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi CapKet, 

Sorry to hear that you're not completely satisfied with your new KD-43XE8005. It looks like you might be based in the US, as you mentioned that you bought your TV in dollars?

If so, please head over to this Sony community

Thanks!

Pascale_F

profile.country.DK.title
CapKet
Explorer

No, I live in Denmark
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi @CapKet regarding the media player you have only to choose one that you like on the Google playstore there are plenty of them apart kodi that is powerful but with too many functionalities. For video I use archos that is great.

Regarding the refresh rate you had one of the top 2012 tv and now you bought an entry level on 2017. There are plenty of 100 Hz panel on Sony  line up (I don't think there is on the market any panel with 200hz now)

profile.country.DK.title
CapKet
Explorer

Sorry to hear that - I actually wanted a 100 Hz panel but couldn't get one in 43" in the 2017 range. Looked at the 49" XE90 but it's a little too big for our small apartment. The 43" is perfect in size bit I can't stand the Motion jugger from the 50 Hz - it looks a lot worse than my 2012 😞 

Will check Archos