Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia USB record - different channel or just the same one?

profile.country.GB.title
Trinitron42

Bravia USB record - different channel or just the same one?

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-32WD572. This has a record function to USB HDD. It seems only to record the one I'm watching. I just tested it and when set to record (e.g.) BBC1, I was not able to watch a different channel (e.g. BBC2). And when I was watching BBC2 (having set a recording on BBC1) when the time for the recording came, it changed to BBC1.

Is this all it will do or have I missed something?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Trinitron42 

Recording one channel while watching another requires two tuners.

Some Sony sets do have two tuners to allow this, but they are all high-end large screen sets - nothing 32 inch will do it.

You might want to look at sourcing a secondhand YouView box off eBay if you want to record; it will be much more satisfactory, and has two tuners. With that, you could record two channels at once on the box, and still watch a third on the TV itself.

Any YouView box whose name has an R in it, and whose number starts with 2 or 4 will do you, but avoid the older sets whose number starts with a 1.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Trinitron42

Ah, gotcha. I should have spotted the number of tuners (used to be in the digital TV business). The manual is dreadfully thin on explanations. We already have a Humax Freeview PVR which can record 2 and watch another. I was curious about replacing it by just using the TV HDR. But, as you point out, only 1 tuner means this is not practical.

Thanks and Best Regards

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Trinitron42,  I just wanted to comment on another point, if the Manuals aren't helpful check the support page.