Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Android 6.0.1 reboots after enabling VPN apps

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Android 6.0.1 reboots after enabling VPN apps

I have installed via USB and tested Block This (open source) and Adguard (not together. One per time) on my KD49XD8099 with Android 6.0.1 and they simply worked great! No more annoying ads (yes, I know. Companies don't like it, especially Google, but they are perfectly legal. Also we are allowed by Android itself to install whatever we like).

The only problem is that after turning the TV off (standby) few hours, when I turn it on the television starts rebooting. Uninstalling them the television (and rebooting just in case) Android becomes "stable" again (quoted because I've got reboots even without tampering with special apps). The apps were set to enable the VPN at boot. Not that it should matter, since the reboot happens just putting the tv in standby.

Now, I do understand that an external app, not made specifically for Android TV may not work (but as I wrote they actually do the job they are made for), but if the television/Android reboots there is a (very critical) issue with the OS, not the app. To test the issue the developers just need to install the apps mentioned (again, enabling the VPN at boot).

148 REPLIES 148
profile.country.GB.title
Dr_Halo
Explorer

Hi all, I'm sorry for my english, I'm from Italy. I am facing the same issue, after I've installed hola vpn apk (sideloaded). I have not tested yet, but I think that an other app that kills "hola VPN" when screen goes off would be the solution for me. I will try with "Task killer for screen off", but if you know better solutions please let me know.

profile.country.GB.title
Dr_Halo
Explorer

Ok, I've tried my solution, but it simply doesn't work. And it seems that any other killer does the work. Any idea? 

profile.country.NO.title
rapraprap

lol yes there is a solution, which is for Sony, in lieu of not shipping
defective firmware in the first place, to issue an actual fix which allows
you to use a VPN without your set rebooting.
profile.country.NO.title
rapraprap

lol yes there is a solution, which is for Sony, in lieu of not shipping
defective firmware in the first place, to issue an actual fix which allows
you to use a VPN without your set rebooting.
profile.country.GB.title
Dr_Halo
Explorer

I think that Sony willl never release a patch for this problem. So, if there is a chance to solve it by myself with an app or a script ( I don't know how ti use it, but maybe you know) I prefer to go in this direction than waiting for the rest of my life.

profile.country.NO.title
rapraprap

Yea just a joke. Wasn't there a comment earlier talking about a script to
kill the vpn service on screen off like you're asking for?
profile.country.NO.title
rapraprap

Yea just a joke. Wasn't there a comment earlier talking about a script to
kill the vpn service on screen off like you're asking for?
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Dr_Halo wrote:

I think that Sony willl never release a patch for this problem. So, if there is a chance to solve it by myself with an app or a script ( I don't know how ti use it, but maybe you know) I prefer to go in this direction than waiting for the rest of my life.

I made the script, but that "works" only with the app I use. You would need to know how to modify it for your specific app. Also I am afraid it is causing issues, Androdi doesn't seem to like that I kill the VPN app with the screen off either.

So in other words.. let's forget about it.. Mine was a test anyway. Hopefully Sony, whom is collecting data about the reboots, will consider to fix this since it is their dtv_svc process crashing. But that's all we are left with.. Hope!

profile.country.GB.title
Dr_Halo
Explorer

Ok, any other solution to kill an app when screen goes off is welcome 😁

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

The best workaround would be to have the app itself disabling the VPN connection after the screen goes off. To turn the VPN on again after the screen goes on. That wouldn't trigger the reboot.